Notices

One year today

Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

One year today

Well, it's been 365 days since I had my last beer. Seems like just yesterday yet it's been a long journey. I use SR as my primary support, so as I've said many times before thank you to everyone who contributes, whether you post 100 times a day or once every 100 days. Everyone helps and all of your posts are meaningful to the forum.

I was thinking of what I would write today and i'm not really a very expressive or philosophical person, so I thought a list of the top 5 things I learned that I wish I would have known a year ago. So here goes!

1. It does get better: No matter how many times people say this, it's true. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING in my life is better than it was a year ago. My health, my outlook on life, my family, my job, my bank account, absolutely everything. There is not one single thing that picking up a beer would ever make better for me now that i have fully accepted my relationship with alcohol ( or lack thereof ).

2. The only person who cares if you are drinking or not is YOU. Unless you specifically hang out with other alcoholics at a bar ( which is not a great idea if you are trying to get sober! ), absolutely no one even gives the least bit of concern to your drinking. You don't need to make up excuses or stories about why you aren't drinking because nearly no one is going to ask, and if they do a simple "no thank you" is all you need to say.

3. There is MORE to do when you are sober than when you are drunk. This is a fact, and the more sober time you get under your belt, the more you realize that if you are an alcoholic, alcohol holds you back. It limits where you can go and the activities you can participate in.

4. "Everyone else drinks/Drinking is everywhere" is a lie we tell ourselves. We assume they do because we naturally want to be around people who drink when we are active alcoholics. But when you take off the blinders, you realize that most people might drink occasionally, but the vast majority of activities people take part in during their day do NOT involve drinking.

5. Sobriety is hard work, but it is more than worth it. I needed to make Major changes to get sober. I had to change daily routines of where I went, who I associated with, and i even had to pretty much break of all contact with some of my previous friends. But remember that you are making changes that are REPLACING old people/places/things with NEW ones that are better.

Hope everyone else is having a good day, and especially for the newcomers remember you CAN do this if you want to.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great post xxx
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What an inspiring post Scott, thank you. And, as I am now approaching a year, I can affirm that those five things you list are absolutely true. AND I would have absolutely never believed a word of it when I was still drinking or when I first got sober. This is why places like SR, and people like you, are such an amazing blessing. Hope and trust are two powerful things that most alcoholics don't have but that sobriety holds out for us.

Congratulations, my friend. And thank you for being here.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Great post. One year is awesome. Congrats.

And it doesn't stop getting better! Onward to year 2.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you Scott.... I appreciate it. Thank you for helping me stay sober today and for giving me yet more evidence that this is the path for me. I want to be posting a post like yours at the end of this year.

You share a sobriety birthday with a woman from my home group / early bird meeting this morning. She told a very moving story about her eldest daughter breaking down last night, sobbing and apologizing for how she'd been treating her in her recovery... telling her she loved her and how proud she was of her mother for her decision to get and stay sober and thanking her for it.

her story, and yours, are powerful tools for me and I appreciate you both and feel so happy for you, I'm welling up as I type this.

Keep it up!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Scott!! Great Post, keep up the great work.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Scott, you are an inspiration for all of us. Do you mind if I cut and paste your post and hang in on my fridge?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It has helped me a great deal.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations Scott. Great to read your post today..it really has helped me.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Thank you for your post! I am very early in my journey and can't thank you (and everyone else) enough for all that is shared. 1, 2, and 5 really ring home for me. It's really hard to change your life and I think that's why we struggle so much. You are an inspiration to me! Congratulations and I look forward to hearing about your second year!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Scott, and great post: a very wise and insightful top 5 list. Onward!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scott congratulations!!! I have to say your posts ALWAYS stick out, you don't sugar coat and are always one of the first to post clear sound concise advise! You truly are an asset here and glad to have witnessed most of your first year! Thank you for ALL you do for SR!

What a wonderful day to celebrate your first year! Stone COLD sober (its a record cold day state side)
Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year Scott!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AA member

Congratulations to you Scott.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Very well said!!! Congratulations on one year!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
Scott congratulations!!! I have to say your posts ALWAYS stick out, you don't sugar coat and are always one of the first to post clear sound concise advise! You truly are an asset here and glad to have witnessed most of your first year! Thank you for ALL you do for SR!

What a wonderful day to celebrate your first year! Stone COLD sober (its a record cold day state side)
Thank you and yes, it's ridiculously cold here in WI today. The high is supposed to be -8F which is actually an improvement over yesterday when the high was -16. A year ago today I would have been worrying about where I could hide my beer besides the garage so it didn't freeze...glad I don't have to worry about that anymore!

To the poster that asked if you could hang my list on the fridge - if you feel it will help i'd be honored.

Thanks again all.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Many congratulations, Scott.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Scott: Congrats on One Year. I remember you from the Class of January 2013 (or maybe December 2012). It looks like you stuck it out. I obviously didn't. I made it roughly 3 months, and then casually got back into drinking until it was back to the norm - drinking constantly.

And here I am, the class of 2014. Your post gives me inspiration. I could've been here right next to you and that makes me determined. I want to have a one year post..January 1st, 2015
Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by halfvictory View Post
Scott: Congrats on One Year. I remember you from the Class of January 2013 (or maybe December 2012). It looks like you stuck it out. I obviously didn't. I made it roughly 3 months, and then casually got back into drinking until it was back to the norm - drinking constantly.

And here I am, the class of 2014. Your post gives me inspiration. I could've been here right next to you and that makes me determined. I want to have a one year post..January 1st, 2015
I would have been the Class of Jan 13, thanks for asking. I didn't stick it out with the Jan thread though - i probably should. I seem to spend most of my time in the Newcomers as I still feel like one honestly.

I was also part of the class of May 2012 and had a similar experience to you that time around, I tried to moderate after a few months and it obviously didn't work. I wish I could tell people what is different this time, but there is no magic bullet answer. I just decided that enough was enough and moved forward.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Scott, congratulations! I love your posts, especially this one. I am only at 100 days sober and I affirm everything that you wrote. I think the hardest part about sobriety for me, is now facing how long that I lied to myself and truly believed that my alcohol induced lies (life would be boring without alcohol, everybody drinks, my bloated stomach has nothing to do with alcohol, etc. etc.) were true. However, looking forward, never back and grateful for my new lease on life!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks!

I'm 30 days in and one less beer on the wall, 30 days in, do one more day and I'm 31 less beer on the wall. LOL!