Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Maybe I've forgotten what a HANGOVER feels like... but nonetheless I wake up

Notices

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

... feeling like utter and complete sh#(

Every morning continues, even without drinking or substances, to be a challenge to get out of bed. At first I was getting wonderful sleep and waking up feeling semi refreshed. Lately, I just want to crawl back under the covers.. and the headaches are still persisting. I don't feel much better than when I was drinking nearly daily and taking pills.

I'm starting to think there is never going to be a light at the end of this tunnel until death. And hopefully death is just that... relief, painfree sleep forever.

Sorry, I'm just really struggling lately. The honeymoon period of my sobriety has ended and I'm left with the ever popular "this is it?..." "what now??" and "at least with alcohol I got some temporary relief from the crap of reality".

Pity party for one. I know. Can't help it.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Suekie, you are FANTASTIC, thanks to your thread I played the tape through to the bitter end and remembered how awful a hangover is, appreciate it. 3 years 6 months sober now the the crap of reality is preferable to the temporary relief of alcohol. Rootin for ya.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Perhaps your feeling bad is due to something other than alcohol? It does happen.

May not even be an illness, just a deficiency of some sort? Time to run it past your doctor perhaps?
I do hope things look up soon!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How long have you been sober? It took me a little while to adjust to what it actually felt like to wake up refreshed without a hangover. Since I always used to lay in bed for about an hour after I woke up, my body sort of did that automatically at first when I stopped drinking. After about a month my body and mind was used to waking up and jumping out of bed.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You might have other things on your mind that's making your sleep poor.
Money issues, job, relationship. Just a thought.

Glad you are sober, keep fighting it's worth it!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I didn't suffer the headaches and my intial thought is you should see your doctor about that asap.

On the crappy feeling front, I had a spell like that. Dry a while and life just got worse until I couldn't get out of bed. Doc said I was depressed, but there was more to it than that. Pills did not fix it and , in the end, I turned to my old solution, alcohol, and that fixed it, at least temporarliy. Funny how a depressant can fix "depression".

The other side of it was that I approached sobriety from a purely non-drinking angle. I did nothing to change my way of life, nothing spiritually. What it proved was that alcohol was not my problem, living sober was. Alcohol was my solution. When I stopped drinking I began to suffer from a spiritual malady, I did not fit in the world, I could not function.

Long story short, a year or two later I find a spiritual solution in AA, and living sober became my natural state. Perfectly happy, life couldn't be much better.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'd suggest you have a check up with your doctor. Rule out any physical causes. Stay sober!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, talking to your dr is a good idea. There could be a physical or mental condition that is causing these problems.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What are you doing for your sobriety other than not drinking?

I found, especially in the early months, that it was important to get a bit of exercise, eat extremely healthy, drink plenty of water, spend time on SR where I had support and do other things to engage in my recovery.

Give it some time. A month and a half in is still EARLY recovery. This isn't what it's going to be like once you have several months of sobriety under your belt.

As others have mentioned, it sounds like you may have more going on. Talking to your Dr. couldn't hurt.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not normal to feel that way Suekie. See your Dr and get checked out

D
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Suekie. There is some important insight here, I hope that some of it helps. I do not know what's normal and not normal at this point of our sobriety (we are real close), and everyone is different. But I can say that I've got some crazy swings going on too, yet when I look at them, real close, and real honestly, I see their source. So I'm kinda looking at my life and not so much my sobriety (which is not in question-I won't let it be-I can't-drinking will just make this "source" worse and harder to deal with). I hope you hang in there and feel better soon, Suekie.

Hey, Gottalife, GREAT response. That really hit home for me.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Suekie .. Hi

Please don't spend another minute of another day feeling miserable and despondent.
There is a reason for these symptoms and they are more than likely not as bad as you imagine them to be in your mind.

You need to have a visit with your doc and explain EVERYTHING. Volume of drinking , how long etc and don't sugar coat it cos it is what it is.

This way you will get exactly the help you need .

There is DEFINITELY light at the end of this tunnel. It took me to get to 4 months sober to start feeling well and even then i thought ..IS THIS IT ...wtf.

I'm 6 months and it is a million times better and improving every day. Please don't lose heart.

You WILL be well again .xxx

We are all here to support you , so lean on us Suekie xx

X