Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The simples things in life are great + Sparatcus the cat is still alive!

Notices

The simples things in life are great + Sparatcus the cat is still alive!

Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up The simples things in life are great + Sparatcus the cat is still alive!

Hello chaps

I live by myself in a flat and I am just over 5 months sober and I am feeling great - eating, sleeping, back at work, relationships with my family getting on the right tracks. By being in AA I have learnt not to become complacent/overconfident. I have come to accept that I cannot have one drink. I could never drink like a gentleman, once I had a drink down me I would loose control all weekend. I would go to work Monday feeling dreadful and not perk up for 3 days. I suppose drinking in itself was like a full time job!
Just been to a meeting tonight and a new chap was there who I used to drink with. He said "I cannot believe you are in AA at 27 you have your whole life ahead of you that must be some commitment". I said the approach I take is not to project to the future, just one day at a time. Keep it simple. Each day can have its ups and downs and it is how we handle each day rather than always thinking about the future.
Not drinking means no hangovers which is good but has anyone else found when they first sober up how much they appreciate the simple things in life? Being more sociable at work, speaking to your parents, not worrying what you did the night before?
I feel more patient and less angry as well - last week the hose to my washing machine burst and the whole kitchen flooded and I got drench fixing it. I thought wow I would have never fixed that if I had been passed out!
My parents went to Spain a few weeks ago and asked if I could go into their house to feed Spartacus the cat whilst they were away. In the past they would never trust me to go back into the house by myself. They came back after 2 weeks and the house was still standing and Spartacus the cat was still alive!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's fantastic!! thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Fantastic job on keeping dear Spartacus alive Bobby. Well done on your 5 months.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay for Sparticus! And yay for you. Great work.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow, wish I were as smart as you at 27. So happy for you, and the cat
Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five months sober! And hugs to Spartacus the cat too.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Timelord

Great stuff. I'm now six months sober, you're right about the patience and less anger. I'm embracing sobriety now.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Congratulations on over 5 months BigBobby! I'm about 5 months and 3 weeks sober and yes I also find myself noticing and appreciating the simple things in life more and more. Great job on keeping Spartacus alive and kicking!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a lovely post! Congratulations on 5 months!

I live alone too, and funny, the other day there was a knock at my door. Sometimes, one of my girlfriends drops in when she's working at a school near me. My immediate thought: OMG, gotta hide the empty wine bottle(s), then I realized, Hey, no I don't!! I tell you, it's such a nice feeling!
And the simple things, yes, I looked out the window this morning, and although it's freezing cold, the sun on the snow makes everything look bright and clean.

Good for you for embarking on this path at your young age!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Superb post, BigBobby!

Yes, I've definitely found that I appreciate the simple things in life much more. This autumn was particularly spectacular (down South, anyway) and I found myself pointing to virtually every tree, saying Wow!

My husband never complains, but it must feel like he's going out with a 3-year-old!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think your friend had it backwards. Being a drinker is a huge commitment. Being sober is freedom the rest of your life.