Notices

January 1st.............

Old 12-31-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

January 1st.............

Is always a good day for a recovering alcoholic like me. Why? Because I won't be ringing in the New Year with a massive hangover.

I remember one year, I passed out on the couch in my parent's basement. I woke up on New Year's Day soaked in urine, with a pounding headache, and immediately ran to the laundry tub to throw up.

For those experimentally inclined, let me be the first to tell you: LSD and whiskey are not a very good combination.

Thank God I don't have to live like that anymore.

Anyone else have any horrific New Year's Day stories? Let's hear em'.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I can't remember any of them. Good thing I'm sober for this one.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't even want to try to remember them. This one is all that counts, da first one in 20 years
Old 12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I probably do have some NYE horror stories....I just can't remember them. Seriously.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Seems although everyone on here has convenient case of amnesia. HAHA.

I remember boxer Roy Jones Jr. saying that he always rang in the New Year in the gym, just to make a point. I wish I had adopted that sort of discipline at a younger age.

Here I was: Thinking I was having the time of my life kicking my own butt, waking up feeling like death to ring in the New Year.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Two years ago I went to my sister's new years eve party and I was sneaking drink after drink after drink and when my sister confronted me about my drinking I made a HUGE scene: I started flipping out on everyone and I screamed at my sister and called her a c*nt, then I ran outside and fell on the ground hysterically crying and screaming and hitting myself saying how I want to die...... thank God I don't have to live like that anymore.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I knew I wasn't the ONLY one on SR to have a bad New Year's story. Like they say in AA: "We cannot regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it."
Old 12-31-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Five years ago today I drank an insane amount of alcohol. Like a disgusting amount. I woke up in the middle of the night and vomited it all INTO my nightshirt. That's right - I pulled UP the ends of my long night shirt making it into a sort of bucket for all of my vomit. I ran to the basement laundry - how that shirt/puke bucket held up with my liters of vomit splashing around in it I'll never know. Once I reached the unfinished laundry room I just dropped the shirt and vomit poured out everywhere - ran down my legs, all over the floor, on clean and dirty laundry both. It wasn't only alcohol, it was chunks of my dinner. I stayed up all night washing the laundry and trying to wipe away the chunks so that my husband wouldn't find out. I was finally done at around 6 or 7 am. Crawled back into bed and never told my husband about that. Later he told me he thought the old toilet in the unfinished laundry backed up - I realized it was really dried up puke I missed from my NYE debacle. That night has haunted me for years.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well 2014 started off rather strange for me. Last night, I went to an AA meeting, and then I checked out the AA New Year's Dance.

Then I went downtown for a walk to see all the insanity that is my city's downtown. It was more or less what I expected, but calmer than in years past, because it's freezing and snowing pretty hard. That didn't stop the bar stars from coming out in their mini skirts. Which I didn't mind all that much, to be honest.

So I came home in time for the ball to be dropped in Times Square. I was reminiscing fondly over the year that was 2013. I had picked up a couple slices of Pizza, a Mountain Dew Voltage, and a lottery ticket.......because I wanted to party down when the ball dropped. I felt very good closing out the year in this manner for some strange reason.

I watched the ball drop, and after five minutes of Carson Daily, I decided enough was enough, and took a relaxing bath, and tried to go to sleep. What was bothering me though, was that my roommate had his door wide open, and I couldn't understand why.

I wanted to ask him why, but seeing as he's a paranoid schizophrenic, I figured I'd just leave him alone, which truthfully, is usually the best approach. Besides, I figured: He's going to be out of here tomorrow, he gave his notice to the landlord.

Well 3AM rolls around, and I wake up to see two bigger guys standing outside of my door. Well I suddenly hear their radios going off, and I realized it was two officers from the local police department.

And I could tell they were not happy about being there. My schizo roomate had actually called the police on New Year's Eve to tell the police about some minor infraction that my landlord had made.

When they left, I looked out my window, and I saw my roommate walking into the back of the police cruiser. (Which I might add, the police had parked on the lawn of someone across the street. )

All I could think to myself was: "Man, this sorta' stuff didn't even happen to me when I was drinking."

But that is completely untrue. This stuff AND WORSE happened to me when I was drinking. It was just one debaucle after another.

Yeah, so 2014 has started off kinda' strange. With another roommate biting the dust. That's six different roommates I've had since I've lived at my current residence. Six roommates in 14 months.

So I guess I can give myself credit for one thing: I've certainly learned to deal with adveristy whilst being sober.

Just thought I'd share. Wish you all a Happy New Year and a wonderful 2014! -Matt
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

And one more thing I'd like to add: The best part about this January 1st? I didn't wake up hungover, or strung out. Sure the little 3AM problem wasn't fun, but man, I could be in a LOT worse scrapes.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Squizz,
Maybe you're not proud of some of your stories, but I gotta say, the way you recount them make me laugh.

My New Year's story? Wanting not to waste champagne, so I chugged my glass and the remainder of my hubby's as we were getting ready to leave a party. Bubble, bubble. Got a rib-crushing hug goodbye from another guest and barely made it to the bathroom where I vomited everywhere. Then spent another fifteen minutes trying to clean up their bathroom with toilet paper and water and whatever cleanser they had within reach. All the while my husband is saying, "Honey, let's GO!" Sprayed a cloud of room freshener and exited, pretending I was just putting on lipstick.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I remember falling over at a party and hurting my ankle. Someone said you need a cold compress, so I pulled a bowl of salad off the table and threw it on my foot.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Branches View Post
Squizz,
Maybe you're not proud of some of your stories, but I gotta say, the way you recount them make me laugh.
Well, we can't take ourselves too seriously, now can we? Life is just too short for that.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

New Years weren't kind to me. A couple of different times being drunk out of my mind, vaguely remember chugging banana liqueur in front of my disgusted sister one year, and just generally making an ass of my self. In later years I learned to avoid social occasions and subsequent embarrassments and just drink myself into oblivion at home, including New Years Eves.

Last night I was in bed by 10 and woke up feeling great. Had a couple cups of coffee and started the new year off with a five mile run. Times have changed for this compadre.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well the last few New Years have been pretty low key and non eventful and luckily I can remember the past three years.

I do remember a New Years though when I almost got arrested. That wasn't too fun. Another time I stayed over at a friend's place and woke up in the middle of the night with withdrawals so I secretly took shots of whiskey and stayed up the rest of the night then went to breakfast at a bar and continued to drink until the bar closed at 2:00am New Years Day. Work the next day was not "work" I'll just leave it at that. Ugh, I was a mess...
Old 01-01-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I can't remember anything specific because I usually was careful on NYE because of the cops everywhere. I do remember one horror show house party where all my friends did coke and I didn't. The whole night was about the drug...they were trying to ration it, of course ran out, then had to go find more-it was a nightmare. I ended up drinking way too much, a friend's husband was hitting on me-what a mess. So glad those days are gone.

Glad you didn't ask about St. Patrick's Day stories lol

The salad compress story made me laugh out loud

Matt-I hope the next roommate is a better fit! Yikes!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad to hear everyone's stories. 2014 is starting off on the right foot in the sense that I'm not drinking or doing drugs. Everything else seems to be going wrong, but hey: That's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I ain't complainin'. It's still way better than being out there.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I got frostbitten on my nose and fingers because I fell asleep in a church yard thinking i was sober enough to walk for about 10 blocks. Woke up in a pool of puke, and in a lot of pain.

Got home and realized I had **** frozen on my pants. Not one of my better days.

Yesterday, I woke up at like 8 and went to the gym. Not hungover.