Notices

What do you tell other people?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
waking down

Even though health is my primary reason for being sober, that response kind of implies that others are not being healthy when they drink. The truth is, though, that alcohol is bad for you when you drink too much too often. I thank God or biology or physics or whatever that though I love getting drunk, I hate the next day. Hangovers are nature's way of reminding us when we are killing ourselves. If not for hangovers, I would have drank until my organs failed.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
While it's true that we don't owe anyone an explanation, I'm doing this for me and not anyone else. I don't really want to cause any awkwardness or anything like that, I just want to blend in I guess. I don't really want to talk about my decision to quit aside from these forums. Thanks for all of your responses, by the way!
When I quit I felt I owed everyone an explanation.

Later on I realised I was assuming drinking was as important to everyone else as it had been to me.

Most people don't care whether I drink or not - they don't give it a moments thought

No thanks I don't drink has served me well in 99% of situations

D
Old 12-30-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Love telling people I don't drink and don't need it like them. Try not to but I can't help myself.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I was hiding my alcoholism for so long that now i am honest and say i am an alcoholic and i dont drink anymore. Everyone so far has been saying good for you to get control over it.
i have even gone as far as introducing myself as a recovering alki and i am rebuilding my life and people ask how they can help.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

IF the subject even comes up, I just let them know I don't drink. When it someone I have drank with in the past, I say the same thing. Only once did it even get noticed, and he pushed me a little to drink with him. He found out very fast how serious I am about not drinking again, and is no longer a part of my world. It was just a drinking buddy, so no loss. But honestly if he had of been family trying to get me to do something I deem as harmful to me, I can't say I wouldn't of had the same reaction.

I am glad I don't drink. I tried to hide the fact that I did drink for some long the last thing I am going to do is pretend to drink or feel bad that I am not as entertaining to people as i was. Life is too short for that sort of thing
Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
hda

I just tell people I'm on a break
Old 12-30-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don't really say anything. When asked, I tell people I do not drink. It's far more common than I once thought.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nothing. Only two people know the true reason I quit: my husband, and now a cousin of mine with whom I quietly shared my story when she went into rehab herself. I felt it might help her. Other than that though, I have no reason to tell anyone the full truth.

If it comes up that I'm not drinking, I tell people I'm trying to lose some weight, which is true.