Notices

something that makes me mad

Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

something that makes me mad

So, I dont like to gloat, but I'm successful as far as money goes. I'm not rich, but I'm easily upper middle class. This isn't what makes me mad.

What makes me mad is when I'm at the doctor office and I put my stupid title ( Software Engineer) in the occupation field, they without exception skip over the history of mental illness section.

Come on. I have three siblings all of which have debilitating psychological disorders and will never live alone because of them. I have a mother who has an IQ of literally 67. (I have a near genius IQ, but Einstein had issues making it home at night) Shouldn't a doctor at least see if I show some of the same traits?

I'm at the doctor, and he says "how are you a software Engineer?" as if an alcoholic has to be some homeless poor person. I find it very frustrating.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Heum, I'm in IT also.

Not sure what the profession has to do with Alcoholism. It targets anyone.
Sorry I'm not understanding what you mean..
Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I understand what you're saying, justin. Perhaps this doctor doesn't have much training in addiction. A lot of them don't, you know. Maybe you should seek out one that does?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's the point Patman. Profession means nothing as far as alcoholism goes. I guess I didn't really put a point to that. I firmly believe I have a psychological condition that I self medicate with alcohol. They seem to dismiss my DNA based on my profession. It seems ridiculous.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry, but this made me laugh. The proper retort would have been 'How are you a doctor?'.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I sought out a psychiatrist who has "dedicated his life to addiction." He sent me home with antabuse, campril, thiamine, and Librium.

For one, I told him in on day 5 of sobriety so why the detox pills? I'm addicted to a depressant (alcohol) so he just sends me home with 20 of the 25mg ones? Maybe its because he didn't understand I am sober. Who knows?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Foolsgold, that was literally on the tip of my tongue.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My gp doctor sent me to him, and said he was good. I trusted that because the gp doctor is really good. Maybe he realized I'm ***$ed without meds. Haha. Who knows?
Old 12-26-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I find if a doctors making assumptions, or somehow cutting corners, if I don't put them right, noone else will, Justin

D
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
I sought out a psychiatrist who has "dedicated his life to addiction." He sent me home with antabuse, campril, thiamine, and Librium.

For one, I told him in on day 5 of sobriety so why the detox pills? I'm addicted to a depressant (alcohol) so he just sends me home with 20 of the 25mg ones? Maybe its because he didn't understand I am sober. Who knows?
LOL! I'm sorry about laughing, but it's just hysterical sometimes how hard it is to find competent medical care. If we don't laugh, we'll surely cry.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I wonder if he knows any doctors who are alcoholics??

How many times have we heard the story of someone on the outside not showing any signs of alcoholism, because it was all on the inside, and the puking prior to going to work was done at home!

I used to zone out in morning meetings, not remember even attending as the hangovers where that bad, by lunchtime things would ease up, probably due to the volume of coffee I had drank up until then . . . and guess what, back on the beer come 6pm!!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Justin, I actually took Librium for close to 2 months, and they almost always use it in rehab. It did help me keep calmer, I believe, without any real feeling of an altered state. That's just my experience, not medical advice.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know if more poor people are addicts then wealthy people even though some studies suggest that. One thing I do know is that poor people get called out more and get in more legal trouble for their addictions.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, wealthy people have enough money to often buy their way out of legal trouble. Just a few months back, the heiress to the Walmart fortune had all her charges dropped for DWI. Even though, a few years ago, she killed someone while driving drunk. There definitely are two sets of laws in this country, but that's a topic for a different kind of board.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think alcohol is a cheaper addiction than other substances, it's more readily available too, supermarket own brand alcohol can be ridiculously cheap, but who knows what the stats are!

Yeah I think the calling out is a good point, if you wear a suit to work, there is a certain misconception that surely that person hasn't got an addiction, how so very wrong they are!!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Purpleknight, when I first started trying to get sober, I had an alcoholic doctor. He openly admitted it. He was obviously not still drinking, but the stuff he said really resonated with me. "I know this going to suck, but if you're smart, this will be your first and last detox." How right was he? If we only ever had to detox once, it would be so nice.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree purpleknight. If I have to go back, I will mention it to him.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, I think maybe it is time to find a new physician and head doctor. Handing out pills is not the solution, and it sounds like you are not getting the help you think you need.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The councelor I have is tremendous. The main gp doctor is great. This guy she sent me to is a place to get pills. I dont want pills. I want long term sobriety.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

St Louis has awesome AA