Notices

Got my license back, finally

Old 12-26-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got my license back, finally

I have been sober for almost 16 months now and I finally got my drivers license back. I have been totally unable to drive for 14 months. Nothing, zippo, totally revoked. The DMV frowns on 2 OWI's in 60 days. Anyway. I was so happy to have a little freedom back as a word of caution getting back all that freedom can be challanging. When I was drivng I had these feelings about drinking. Towards the end of my drinking the car was virtually the only place I could drink by myself without anyone hasseling me. I actually hit the break once and thought a bottle would come sliding ouot from under the seat!! I did not like any of those thoughts getting into my head. It sucked. I was even a little upset with myself to even have those thoughts but it reminded me that I am an alcoholic and that alcohol will always be waiting to have another "go" at me. I talked to a couple of people about the situation so I feel better.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yippee! Freedom to go where you want now.

Sounds like you are able to think hard about the past now and what a pain it's been with no license and realize that drinking just isn't worth it. Sounds like you had to suffer with the consequences for quite some time. A good lesson for the rest of us....it's NOT worth it!!!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

16 months of sobriety is terrific! Congratulations and keep up the good work.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done
Old 12-26-2013, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety and your new drivers license!

I have had mine back for one year exactly after two back-to-back Duis in 2010. I did not drive for two years because I had to buy a new car as I totaled two on my drunken rampages.

I am 14 months sober and I know that if I drink, the chances that I will drive are pretty good. I 'had' to drink in the car too, my husband would pour it out if he found it in the house.

I just know I'm blessed that I never killed anyone, and if I drink, I'll probably go to jail or worse.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats! I am sure that the road to getting the license back has been long and trying. Cherish this moment. You are doing the right thing by remaining sober and walking forward.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has been a long road. When you have to rely on everyone else just to get some where you become very humble and thankful. This was just another consequence of my drinking. One I no longer have to worry about, today!!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That is so awesome, FamilyMan2153! I must admit I haven't noticed you posting lately and I was wondering how you've been doing. Well, it sounds like you're doing great! I'm creeping up on 14 months sober myself and it just keeps getting better.

Again, great going FM! It's gratifying to hear about a fellow SR'er making good.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Congratulations on getting your license back! That must feel like a huge accomplishment. I can understand how driving would be a trigger for you, but try to focus on how well you've done and how your hard work has given you a major freedom back.