Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

wish me luck! annual New Year get together marathon weekend...

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi friends,

Just asking for some positive vibes. I am about to hit to road for the annual New Year's eve get together that a bunch of us from high school do to keep in touch. This year, the place is in some ridiculously isolated place on the Canadian border. Sigh.

I have been sober now for 56 days. Within those day I got through a New Orleans vacation, family drama, anxiety, and ruthless introspection by maintaining a philosophical distance from me and my AV. I think I am still there.

But I am tired. I feel the tired. This morning I had to send my little Jimmy Jingle (my pet rattie) to rainbow bridge, my family has needed me a lot lately and that is DRAINING, and I am just tired.

I won't drink, but I know my resolve will be tested - please send me positive vibes to get me through.

Don't even know if I can post from where we are going - this place looks so far up it's probably off the grid. Sigh.

Smiles and hugs
Old 12-26-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 56 Days!!

It can be draining, but in all that time you've already taken on a lot, even the festive period and come out the other side, this New Years get together can be done!!

You can do this!! and we're all behind you!!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job and thinking about you and your rattie!!! I used to have one of those....they are adorable.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Good luck. You will be fine, you are doing so well xxx
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do this and will be better off for it. I would most likely not be attending this sort of function early on in recovery. That is me though. I hope that you have a good time and try to keep us updated. We are here for you.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
EndGame

I couldn't do it when I was a year sober, never mind fifty six days.

Since you and your classmates hold this marathon every year (and I'm thinking that 'marathon' applies in great measure to drinking), you apparently lose nothing by waiting till next year and the years to come.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In our New Years cabin - it's in beautiful VT, and it's very peaceful. It turns out that there is another non-drinker here, and it is a small group so we had some good time just talking. I haven't drank. Yay me! And I won't.

I am realizing that I am one of those people who is ok as long as I do not have the first drink, so the whole thing is avoiding the first drink. I'm ok wiht being here and not drinking, and everyone is ok with me being here and not drinking too. We are older and mellower than we used to be, and it is awesome.

Not that I didn't think about it - particularly after a white knuckle drive in the pitch darkness during a snow storm up a dangerously steep hill in my little honda, but I didn't. Just played the tape and shoved gummy worms into my mouth. After that, the need to drink was gone.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sounds good any. Very helpful that there's another non-drinker. I'm the same way - one drink and there's no telling what might happen. I hope you'll stay safe & I'm glad you're not off the grid.