Notices

Ghost of my Christmas Past

Old 12-25-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ghost of my Christmas Past

This morning I was walking my friend's dog when I came across a car parked in the lot of an apartment complex down the road. It was kind of parked funny so I stopped to look and found a woman slumped over the wheel.

She looked dead.

I knocked on the window, progressively louder each time, and there was no response. Panicking, I started to call the police/ambulance when I saw her move her head. Thankfully she eventually opened her door and as soon as she did the smell of alcohol hit me full-on.

Long story short, she was driving drunk from a party the previous night, had no idea how she'd gotten there or why she was so far from home (nearly 50 miles), and had blacked out most of the evening prior to getting in the car.

After getting her some coffee and letting her warm up at the house, my neighbor's son followed her to her parent's house where her panicked mother and fiance were beside themselves.

This was my first Christmas sober in about 15 years. I have no idea how many nights I spent just like that in my car. Or how many holidays I made people panic because I was passed out or drunk somewhere far from home.

There before the grace of God and all that...

Just wanted to share that story. I am so very thankful to be sober today.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like she had two angels watching over her this Christmas - the one who kept her safe during her incredibly poor choice to drive drunk and you for being there to get her home safely the next day.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go for helping her out. Hopefully she will make a choice to get help and sober.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

In many ways that woman was YOUR guardian angel....
Old 12-26-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow what a story. The evils of alcohol. You are a very kind soul.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You are kind. It does remind us of how we used to be when we witness something like this. You did well to help her. It always makes me sad to see someone in that state.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I saw 4 RTA's over the christmas as i was working .. all involving hitting inanimate objects (thank goodness it wasn't people ) there were a few swervey drivers and people pulling out from side junctions in front of me or without due regard to other traffic, several vehicles driving in the dark with their lights off .

London driving can be quite aggressive but i feel sure that all of the RTA's had something fueling them that wasn't gas/petrol , and i suspect some of the others were not dealing with their resentments in a healthy way …

Home safe and sound and have new years eve off work and stand-by so will be tucked up safe at home

I never knowingly drunk drove although looking back i suspect there were lots of mornings after the nights before when i was bad/mad/ill & stupid enough to have risked others lives by me getting behind the wheel .

m
Old 12-26-2013, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Wow. This is quite the story. I'm moved by the serendipity of it all. Considering you werent even supposed to be home on Xmas. But thanks to your deciding to protect your sobriety and not go to Florida, you were given this absolute gift of both insight and knowledge, as well as the ability to save "yourself" yet again.

This is profound. And beautifully almost eerie in its nature.

Ill be reflecting on this for a while.

So much love at you SFAM.

XO AO