Notices

Christmas reflection

Old 12-25-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas reflection

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm home from spending Christmas Eve and Day with my family up north. For the first time in weeks, I truly felt tested. I was offered beer and hard liquor on numerous occasions over the two day period. Since nobody there knew of my struggle with alcohol, they didn't realize it wasn't a good idea to push glasses of liquor, beer and wine at me. They didn't mean any harm by doing it but it definitely tested me. I'm very happy to say, I politely turned it down each time and made it through the holiday sober.

Overall, the two days were essentially a carbon copy of last Christmas (minus the few beers I had last year) and it really got me reflecting on how much has changed over the past few months. As I crawled into bed for the night last night, I noticed the room was nice and toasty. Then I remembered that being a problem last year because I was super hot and sweaty and having mild withdrawals. Instead of being uncomfortable, I was nice and warm and slept like a baby.

Coming home, I remember last year stopping for gas at the same truck stop and counting the minutes until I was home so I could drink. As I was pumping gas at the same stop this year, I thought about how free I felt not having to rush home and drink so I could get to bed. I remember getting home last year and realizing I didn't have enough liquor to last a few days so I had to go out in a blizzard the day after Christmas to get more. I put myself and others at risk driving in a heavy snow on slick roads just to make sure I had my booze. This year, I will be going into work tomorrow rested and ready to enjoy a long weekend.

I'm approaching two months of sober days in a row and almost four months since I made the commitment to stop drinking and, looking back this Christmas, I have never been so sure I made the right choice. I'm thankful for the reflection this holiday brought and that I was able to silence my AV in the face of temptation.

I hope everyone else has had a peaceful and enjoyable holiday. I'm so thankful for all of you here. Thinking about everyone on here when I was tempted helped keep me from taking even one sip.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

What a great post Zelda! And congrats on coming up to 2 months, that is awesome!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on dealing with all that Zelda

D
Old 12-26-2013, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff Zelda!!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Zelda! Love how you highlight the differences between this Christmas and last Christmas. Love, too, how resolute you are in your commitment to sobriety and your own well-being. Well done!
Old 12-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Atta girl Zelda. Congrats.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your months of sober time. I like to think of how my holidays are different now too. No hangovers, drunk driving, and preoccupation with finding drinks and hiding them so my family doesn't see. Lots of good conversation now with genuine interest from me. I am much more able to be in the present moment and just be. Feels great!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job Zelda!!! Congratulations on two months!!!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Zelda
This is wonderful news from you. It seems to me like you are doing all the right things are reaping the rewards. Peace of mind is probably the best gift in my opinion. Thank you for being here Zelda. Happy Holidays to you!