Notices

Family gatherings isn't much of a threat to my drinking

Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family gatherings isn't much of a threat to my drinking

...because I'm not as tempted as I would be if I were in a bar. The reason for this is because when I'm at a family gathering, or out to dinner or something, I wasn't very interested in drinking because I felt that access to alcohol was somewhat limited under these circumstances. I can't binge drink very easily in a restaurant without other people at the table reacting at some point, and it's the same at a family gig. I'm vulnerable when I'm alone because I get to choose my course of action completely uninfluenced by societal conventions. I would get loaded in a bar and then come home and really get to work on my blackout in the safety and privacy of my house.

Last night I watched a few people enjoy a glass of wine at my sister's house, some of them enjoyed a bit more than others, but still... that's not appealing to me and wasn't even tempting. Put a case of wine in my car though, and point me towards my house, well now we have a problem.

So I guess it's weird but being out with my family watching them have a couple cocktails is a strangely safe place for me to be. That's not the kind of drinking I've ever been interested in. As long as I can keep my ass out of a bar, and away from others who binge drink like me, I'm much closer to succeeding in not drinking that day.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, good thing you recognize that. Unfortunately for me, once I take the first drink, I will just go wherever and drink whatever I want. Sometimes a bar, sometimes a house. who knows. For now, I just need to stay away from all of it.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess it would be a lot harder for me if I had someone present at these things who abused alcohol like I do. Then I'd be *very* tempted. My older relatives (and my father) fell into that category for sure, but they are no longer around. These days most family get-togethers are centered around my sister's family, and her husband drinks but his parents are sober and they are always there. So I guess that changes the dynamic for me. It would be like trying to get crocked in a library or something. What's the point. But yes if I had one, that would be it. I would most likely make an excuse to have to suddenly be somewhere else and then hit a bar and go all out.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jade123 View Post
I guess it would be a lot harder for me if I had someone present at these things who abused alcohol like I do. Then I'd be *very* tempted. My older relatives (and my father) fell into that category for sure, but they are no longer around. These days most family get-togethers are centered around my sister's family, and her husband drinks but his parents are sober and they are always there. So I guess that changes the dynamic for me. It would be like trying to get crocked in a library or something. What's the point. But yes if I had one, that would be it. I would most likely make an excuse to have to suddenly be somewhere else and then hit a bar and go all out.
Yeah, my family doesn't drink much. My dad does, but he will hide it in the garage or something and go chug while no one is looking. Everyone quit accepting his drinking decades ago, so thats how he does it.

I mainly drink because of how I feel at this point.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you! My family has never been big on the drinking, nonetheless there is always alcohol around for the occasional glass of wine or beer.

It feels like a safe place to be because they all know I'm not drinking and luckily I've always been sober around the holidays (go figure) so this isn't my first. I enjoy now the conversation and games that we play.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel just the same as you about this Jade. But yeah, if anyone there drinks like I did then it is a bit of a trigger. I have to stay away from big drinkers all together. I have been surprised since getting sober how many people do drink very little. That sort of moderate drinking just doesn't interest me at all x