Notices

Day 24

Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 24

I am new to SR and have been sober for 24 days. I have been an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. I have quit drinking once before for 3 months after an embarrassing incident about 7 years ago. However I think I never knew the extent of my illness until alcohol really started to have a major impact on my health and my mind. I have come from a long line of alcoholics. I remember begging my parents not to drink. Now I have a child and am determined to be sober. Today I was a bit tempted to have some wine because we had guests over. I know that I am incapable of having just a drink. Actually I would be miserable just having one. So these days I find all I am doing is reading everything I can get my hands on regarding alcoholism and recovery. I found the app for this site on my phone and I find it comforting to read before going to bed. This is when I find it the hardest... at night before I go to sleep, my anxiety skyrockets. I am excited to be a better person than I have been.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

come join the chat room
Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you Cusper! Wanting to drink vrs knowing we want to be sober is a hard battle we all face daily. I too am jealous of those who can have a beer or two and then go on about there night. I am not one of them, and that is ok once I learn to live a different way to spend my time
Old 12-22-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're doing great! And the longer you go the less you'll notice others drinking around you and the less you'll be tempted to join them; I promise.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Cusper - there's amazing support here

D
Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cusper- have you read "Drinking: A love story" by Caroline Knapp? If not read it. It helped me enormously during my first few months of sobriety. I spent most of the time while reading it thinking "how did this woman get inside my head and write down everything I was feeling". Spot on. I read every night before bed to help reduce the anxiety.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I second the Caroline Knapp recommendation. I also spend time on SR in the evenings battling back the dragon. You are doing a great job! 24 days! I can only dream of that...
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for writing in. I really want to be able to connect with others who are going through the same things I am. Everyone around me drinks and often. Most of my friends and my husband. They all can stop, brush their teeth, put their pajamas on and go to bed. I can barely remember getting to bed when I drank. So now that I am telling them I am not drinking I think they think I am just being dramatic about it. So I am feeling pretty isolated.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

No I haven't read that book but I will. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum cusper!! there's plenty of support!!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Leana, I just tried to send you a message but I am not allowed to yet because I don't have enough posts. I just wanted to thank you again for your book recommendation. I bought it today on ibooks and haven't put it down.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Casper there is no need to feel isolated. This could be the start of a whole new you one that will make your husband proud and your friends envious. You will soon see that sobriety has only positives. You will begin to wonder why anybody drinks! I hope you find help here and all the best
Old 12-24-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done on 24 days by the way!!