Notices

struggling and scared

Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

struggling and scared

I've been "quitting" for the past week. Im sick of being controlled by alcohol. I know I need to go to a meeting asap and get some support because I cannot kee
p living this way.. I've been drinking to get that last drunk before I finally surrender...ugh. Im insane. Yesterday was bad, called some family members to give them a piece of my mind, got completely trashed and I was not emotionally available for my family. Just wasted, and pissed off at the world and myself. Im going to a meeting today before I do it all over again.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there- Just for today tell yourself that you won't drink. Go to a meeting, try to talk to people and whatever you do just don't drink. All you have to do is worry about today. If you can't take being awake, go to sleep. Do anything to get through today.

The first week is the worst, with alcohol in your mind every minute it seems but as you start to recover physically, the thoughts should let up a bit.

I know it's a struggle. I've been through so many first weeks myself that I've lost track of them but I can promise you that if you can get through the first week, it will get better. If you drink again, you have to go through the whole process again. See the doctor if you're feeling horrible. You may need to go in for detox so they can monitor you and make you more comfortable as your body adjusts.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there, dh22. You can do it.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dh22 View Post
I've been "quitting" for the past week. Im sick of being controlled by alcohol. I know I need to go to a meeting asap and get some support because I cannot kee
p living this way.. I've been drinking to get that last drunk before I finally surrender...ugh. Im insane. Yesterday was bad, called some family members to give them a piece of my mind, got completely trashed and I was not emotionally available for my family. Just wasted, and pissed off at the world and myself. Im going to a meeting today before I do it all over again.
Depending on the amount you've been consuming and for how long you've been doing it, you may consider getting medical attention before going to a meeting. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. Meetings are intended to keep you sober, not to get you sober in the first place.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much. I can't believe I put myself back in this position. I've been sober for a day and come day 2 I drink. Its been like that all week. Im driving myself absolutel here, and my family as well. I know I can do this.....I've done it before....
Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have had some pretty intense withdrawls in the past
..but at this point I just feel hungover...I don't feel like medical attention is needed right now, but I will go to the doctor if it gets bad
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Its crazy, despite the consequences and actions we continue to drink. I did the same for many years. I tried to stop almost everyday. I was a wreck. Go to the meeting and hang out on here today. We can support you.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Meetings are intended to keep you sober, not to get you sober in the first place.
In my many years attending meetings I had not heard of the new direction AA has taken. Perhaps the traditions have been rewritten?

"Our primary purpose is to help another alcoholic achieve sobriety."

BE WELL
Old 12-22-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is crazy. This whole addiction is just crazy. I'm sorry this happened to you.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dh - hope you get to that meeting.
Today could be a turning point

D
Old 12-22-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can do this. I'm at 14 days. It's unbelievable how different I feel.

You can also kick this addiction to the curb once and for all. Just let it go, the war is over.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can stay sober this time.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi dh,

I know how frustrating it can feel when the addiction takes over completely, but you can change your life and you don't have to go through this again.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I feel in the same spot as you. I don't want to drink anymore but if I stop my withdrawel syptoms get bad. I hate this whole stupid cycle. Last time I went to my doctor I felt so jugded I'm afraid of telling her the truth again.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I have always had very good, sympathetic Doctors. I find it so annoying when you get the odd one who look down their nose. Anyway, good job you don't feel too hungover. More reason to give it another go. xxxxx