Notices

Matthew Perry on alcoholism and shame

Old 12-23-2013, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
These are just AA theories which aren't based in real science or research. He is different then all the normal people. He gets an allergy after one drink? hmm. He has claimed all this stuff to be scientific proof in other interviews. just nothing interesting here to me..or helpfull
Actually there's data suggesting that in certain people, the enzymes in the liver break down alcohol differently than in most folks. It appears to be a genetic abnormality, and it's theorized that the chain-reaction of chemical processes alters the brain chemistry, creating a sense of discomfort that can be eased by consuming more alcohol. I'm not saying it's been definitively proven, or that there's an alcoholic gene, or even that such a thing could be defined technically as an allergy, but there is some research supporting the idea that some people simply react to alcohol differently on a biochemical level. And my personal experience is that the moment the first drink took effect, I felt a powerful drive to drink more, which matches 100% the phenomenon Perry's describing. I'm not in AA, by the way, and I tend to shy away from disease terminology. But I see how that paradigm can help ease the shame that keeps people isolated, which seems to be Perry's primary concern, and I have trouble finding any fault with that.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Actually there's data suggesting that in certain people, the enzymes in the liver break down alcohol differently than in most folks. It appears to be a genetic abnormality, and it's theorized that the chain-reaction of chemical processes alters the brain chemistry, creating a sense of discomfort that can be eased by consuming more alcohol. I'm not saying it's been definitively proven, or that there's an alcoholic gene, or even that such a thing could be defined technically as an allergy, but there is some research supporting the idea that some people simply react to alcohol differently on a biochemical level. And my personal experience is that the moment the first drink took effect, I felt a powerful drive to drink more, which matches 100% the phenomenon Perry's describing. I'm not in AA, by the way, and I tend to shy away from disease terminology. But I see how that paradigm can help ease the shame that keeps people isolated, which seems to be Perry's primary concern, and I have trouble finding any fault with that.
Matthew has debated scholars on things like this and has called people buffoons for not believing this stuff as truth. He either thinks the way you do or he really believes this stuff to be scientific truth. white lies..you say..do they hurt anyone?...maybe not but they don't help anyone

either..not from where i'm standing. if its possible to have better care for addicts it will never happen if we all agree that lying to someone to help them stay sober is good and always the best thing.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Another good video of a celebrity using his fame to talk frankly about alcoholism. Craig Ferguson on his late night show.

Craig Ferguson Talks About Life As A Recovering Alcoholic - YouTube
Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's hard for me to see the lie in the message that you should reach out for help if you have a problem you can't deal with on your own. I'm okay with that being a lie if someone deems it so.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
Matthew has debated scholars on things like this and has called people buffoons for not believing this stuff as truth. He either thinks the way you do or he really believes this stuff to be scientific truth. white lies..you say..do they hurt anyone?...maybe not but they don't help anyone

either..not from where i'm standing. if its possible to have better care for addicts it will never happen if we all agree that lying to someone to help them stay sober is good and always the best thing.

I am not an expert on anything relating to alcoholism, i do know that I feel a tremendous obsession of the mind and that I craved a high from alcohol from the first sip, very different from most of my friends. Is my body reacting differently as in an allergy, I don't know? And also I am sure not every alcoholic is the same? Here on SR everyone it is obvious we all deal with it differently and get help in different ways, the important thing is to get help, right?

But apart from that, I am really impressed with him taking on a battle of the attitude towards addicts and I have watched a lot of shows on the drug courts and I am so impressed. The US seem so much more open and real about these issues then here in the UK, it is much more hidden and shameful although I would almost expect it to be more rampant here?? It is such a drinking culture here.

And I also feel it is important to really SEE that a person is an addict in need of help rather than to punish, what good will come out of it> For the addict, the families and society. It has to be a dialogue but as someone mentioned earlier it seems all these famous addicts really don't want to discuss it further, we just see them in tabloids in and out of rehabs almost as a joke?

One thing I loved from these guys too was how positive they were about the possible success of people in drug court and the respect they show. For me that is really important to feel.

I relate to him saying how it makes you feel weak and ashamed when in reality I have felt really powerless and out of my mind because of how alcohol affected me.