Notices

That was a tough one.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Skye2;4352128]
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Good to hear. Your dad sounds like a character [/QUOTEW

He's a SOD mate
He gets bus into town as he can't drive anymore, due to his peripheral vision going. He then speeds in the damned thing to wind me up (in a funny way), but he excelled himself today going around the shopping centre - some people were standing chatting and rather than go around them, he used the bliidy horn!! I said DAAAAAAAAAD and he winked and me and burst out laughing I could have died on the spot I was so embarrassed Xx
For some reason that bit about ' he then hires an invalidity scooter' didn't post - he doesn't speed in the bus - it's in the invalidity scooter.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well done Skye. A potentially difficult situation (and an unexpected one!) dealt with brilliantly and some quality family time gained from it as well.

These ex-cops are tough guys. My Grandpa was one and he lived until the ripe old age of 96. He was always joking about how he drew his pension for 10 years longer than he worked for the police force! Wishing you guys many more Christmases together
Old 12-18-2013, 02:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm a daddy's girl too Skye. My dads a giant rough tough guy, a grizzly bear with teddy bear stuffing insides! It's so wonderful you had that day to spend with him. Choosing the cola allowed you to keep the memory of that day pristine. A day with your dad knocking pedestrians over with his scoot-around . The flip side could have been a drink with dad followed by many other solo drinks, leaving no room to cherish that special dad-daughter time!

Merry christmas to you and your family... Many more to come
Old 12-18-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you SO much nightswimming - Dad's from Motherwell and has been claiming his army pension for over 30 years now Bless him - no-one has a sense of humour like a Scotsman - miss Scotland So much Xx
Old 12-18-2013, 02:46 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
I'm a daddy's girl too Skye. My dads a giant rough tough guy, a grizzly bear with teddy bear stuffing insides! It's so wonderful you had that day to spend with him. Choosing the cola allowed you to keep the memory of that day pristine. A day with your dad knocking pedestrians over with his scoot-around . The flip side could have been a drink with dad followed by many other solo drinks, leaving no room to cherish that special dad-daughter time!

Merry christmas to you and your family... Many more to come
I rebelled like you wouldn't believe as a teenager - he wanted ME to be a cop, so.... I became a hippy - Used to call him 'man' and he would say 'don't call me MAN' so i'd say ' ok WOMAN'
Old 12-18-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bless you and your ole Dad Skye. Us Aussies have a special affection for the awld Irish / Scots in us.

xx
Off to bed for me luvvie.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post
Bless you and your ole Dad Skye. Us Aussies have a special affection for the awld Irish / Scots in us.

xx
Mum was irish - Dad met her when he was on military service in Ireland I like to think of myself as 'pure celt' It's funny though - people say I don't have an accent - is it any wonder ?? I was born in Ireland but raised in England (they were both so stubborn neither would settle in the others country) I basically spoke with a broad irish accent until I started school
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

PS his chat up line?? 'Can u cook a haggis' (cringe)
Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bemyself View Post

xx
You wouldn't believe the affection for aussies in the UK too! ( except for peter slimey andre) - anyone comes to UK with an aussie accent - you'll get overloaded with dates
Old 12-18-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

My mum always told me 'there is another side to your Dad' - I guess she was right huh ?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

it's actually horrendous - every time I meet up with Dad, it's always in my mind (and probably his) ' is this gonna be the last time?
it hurts. Xx

When he passes I am SO gonna bore the asses of the lot of you - am praying it's not for a few years yet (and i'm into God- was raised catholic)

Oh GOD how am I gonna cope when he passes ?
CHOOSE to live alone - I can support myself and all that
But when dad passes I won't have anyone here, you know? That hurts
Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Aw, Skye, luv. I realise from your story that your Da's not an alkie. But if you care to (try not to cry) maybe read Acheleus' recent thread, and my last two posts to him about Dads.

That is, the same thing applies to ALL of us, luvvie. Our parents die, one day. And yes, when it happens, we feel like orphans - despite whatever age we are. I know, as do so many others.

We'll be here, you know that, whenever your ole Da goes go.
xx
Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks SO much Bemyself Xxxxxxxxx