Notices

Going to aa tomorrow. I think..

Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't be disheartened. i hear tell a lot of people only make it to the carpark the first time.

You could always ring the local AA and ask for detailed directions next time - they may even offer to meet you outside

D
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Laura, most everyone that walked through the doors of an AA Meeting felt the same way, it took me about two weeks after making the decision to go to drive there and walk in. It felt like home. I could not get by on just online support. I needed new sober friends and some one to show me the way. I can only tell you it helped me.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"I don' know if this is progress...I went but didn't go inside. Or I tried but I got lost and anxious and waited outside. Didn't see any people but heard choir practice. Felt very lost. A guy came out and looked around but I just froze and didn't dare to say what I was looking for. Now I regret it badly."

Look at the experience as a positive step. You put on your coat. You grabbed your bag and walked out of the door of your home. You got in your car and drove to the meeting site. Many people don't even get that far. They stay frozen at home. Call the local AA office for directions or a contact number. You made it that far. Just a little bit more. Keep the momentum.

If you see someone at the site you don't have to say you are looking for the AA meeting. You can ask someone who is heading in the door if they are "a friend of Bill's", after bill Wilson one of the founders of AA. A lot of people use it as a sort of code to find meetings. I also look for clusters of smokers around the door.