Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Just thought I'd remind you guys why relapsing isn't worth it..

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I relapsed. Again..

Like most times, this time I thought it would be different and the insanity of alcoholism told me that it would feel good, I would have a good time, just one last night etc, etc. I lost both of my jobs as a result, am now stranded in Utah with little cash to get, wherever the hell I'm supposed to go now. My girlfriend is directly affected by this and I have no idea why she's still with me.

So if anyone is considering picking up again, you made it a few weeks sober and you're feeling good or whatever, if you pick up its almost guaranteed you will destroy everything good you have going on in your life and then some.

Please don't do it, please. I'm begging you.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry. I hope something temporary turns up so you can earn enough to go back home.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bummer to hear, Turnz505, but very common. Let me ask, didn't you know it wasn't worth it before you picked up? And yet, that did very little to stop you.

That's always the way it was with me. In spite of knowing the almost certain consequences, I would pick up anyway. That went on for years in my case; one more experiment with knowing better and still doing it. I finally had to do what others had done to recover, for good and all.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Turnz - I'm really sorry to hear about your situation Must be awful and especially this month of the year.
I have no idea of what solutions would be available to you, over there but hopefully someone that lives there, can give you some practical advice about getting home.

Hugs to you Xx
Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Message received friend. Hope things turn arround for you!
Your girlfriend is still there, you have not lost everything, yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear your story. You'll get back on your feet, and next time you'll know. I am sick relapsing, this time I staying the course. Good luck, keep coming to this site.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this is the last time you go thru this hell.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry to hear that Turnz.
Hope things turn around soon

D
Old 12-11-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I hear ya. I picked up again seven years ago after being sober for seven and guess what? The beast raised it's ugly head and took over. Fun? Nahhhhhhhhhhh, I don't think so.

I am on day one of a journey that I will continue for the rest of my life.

And yes, it is hard, but worth it. It does get easier too. I know it does.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, it is a horrible feeling, that you have let yourself down again and also did it many times. Just get back to where you were and go from there. Hopefully, your circumstances will pick up xx
Old 12-11-2013, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have an idea, why not print this post off and put it in your wallet. Carry it around and make a time each day to read it. Read it again, and again, and again.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you turnz

For still having the capacity to reach out to others in your time of angst

That says a lot about you as a person.

get sober , people like you are valuable resources xx
Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you Turnz for relaying that message - even though you're suffering. I'm sure many will benefit from your unselfishness. Please post when you can and let us know how you are doing - we care about you.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Update.. And some good news, real good news.

First off, I broke the binge and am approaching 72 hours with no drink. I gave my ID and the rest of my cash to my girlfriend to hold for me and the same night we were offered a place to stay with a woman who subsequently gave us both jobs in exchange for rent. My girlfriend could have chosen to go home out of state but stayed with me, and now we have a roof over our head, a comfy bed and I am sober.

A lot of synchronicity has been happening in the past week since I started praying about this situation and I'm certain your energies sent to me helped tremendously also. I have another chance and am accepting it graciously. I guess this is a huge wake up call and a reality check, if I drink I die. I'm only 25 and my feet have began to burn ferociously ( I suspect alcoholic neuropathy) and my stomach and kidneys ache all the time, I also think my liver is breaking down or something and not holding alcohol well because I seemed to be blacking out every night and had to be told by others what transpired (I even started to lose shame of my actions, disrespected those who were trying to help me and drank whiskey in the AM)..

The one strange thing about this disease, beside all the messed up stuff that happens and how it taxes your body, its like Ive been playing some drunk and belligerent musical chairs and when I finally sober up.. you realize you have no idea how you got to that position.. That feeling to me is all too familiar (I woke up in Kansas City once from partying in New Mexico, ironically how I met my girlfriend who does not drink).. thats how I feel now, but I think I'm gonna stop the random insanity for good now and play the cards on my table, in Mormon country Utah LOL.. Pretty beautiful place and I think I have played with fire enough for more than a lifetime.

still grateful nonetheless and maybe this is where I was meant to end up. Thank you guys for whatever energy you sent my way to help this happen, I believe in miracles and prayers being answered and I really appreciate your responses. Gonna try to go all the way this time and will try to keep posting my progress- thanks again!!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to hear things are looking up Turnz

D
Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad to see things are better, Turnz505! I hope you grab onto this chance with both hands and never let go. Not only did you catch a break it sounds like you've got a seriously awesome GF on your hands!

Be good to each other.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad your getting your life back on track Turnz.
All to familiar with that relapse pattern myself, it's tough but one of these days we gotta crack it right? Well this time is our time.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What great news this is, Turnz505! Stay strong. Days 4 and 5 are a big test. Commit yourself each day that you will not drink that day. You can DO this!

Good luck. We are pulling for you.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad things are slowlly turning arround for you. Keep it up!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Great news xxx