Notices

Day One

Old 12-11-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Amen Hevyn. And thanks. I am so grateful I found this forum. I have been trying to do it on my own for too long. Thinking I could control it, etc.

It isn't true. I was a drunk years ago and knew it (that's why I quit). I will be a drunk my lifetime, just not an active one.

I am tired of BSing myself.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome. I'm only 3 weeks in, and I remember the first nights very well.Stay strong. Come here, read, talk, whatever it takes. We're here for you. You can do this.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for CarolD's tips, they all sound very very good. The one about the b12 made me think about how b3 helps with depression and anxiety and can be extremely beneficial to people when they stop drinking. I heard/read about it in a documentary/book called food matters (available on netflix).
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you found us. Welcome!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So far what has worked for me when I get anxious and want to drink is to just try to stay busy. I have made so many candies and treats for my co-workers they probably wonder what the hell is going on. But I don't care. As long as my mind is busy doing something else it helps. My worse time is between 5-8pm. After I eat dinner, it gets better. Sometimes I watch a favorite movie or show during that time or come on this site and read. I pray a lot too. I'm literally just going one day at a time right now. That's all my mind can really handle. I'm on day 17 and I know right now I don't want to drink. Good luck and stay strong.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Gibbons welcome to SR, it's a great place to be for help and encouragement.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dear Gibbons,

This is night 13 of sobriety for me, and I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it this far without the support and encouragement of all the good people on SR. In the first few days I spent hours reading forums and threads for the shared experiences and fellowship they provided me. In fact, just tonight I thought of going out and buying a few of those tiny airline-sized bottles of whiskey at my local alcohol warehouse, but then I came here and read about Erik's hospitalization after drinking till he passed out at his workplace Christmas party, followed by understanding and compassionate responses, and then I no longer had any desire to drink tonight.

Try hanging out here, Gibbons, and see if it doesn't help you when you really feel like drinking. We're all pulling for you.

I also love the fact that this is an international site, and we hear from members in Britain, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica, etc... It also helps that someone's here virtually 24/7.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day one and already can't sleep

I have been a fairly heavy drinker for the past 20 years, but the last 10 I have been drinking a whole lot. My issue is that I have not hit rock bottem. I can drink a 12 pack every night and still wake up each morning without a hangover and go right to work. I will admit I am a little less productive because of my drinking. My goals are changing a lot know, because I have a 2 and 4 year old children. I don't want them to grow up with a dad that is a drunk. I want to get back to my active lifestyle that I had until about 10 years ago. I very rarely get hangovers, but my drinking has slowed me down and it is taking away valuable time I should be spending with my wife and kids. I have tried cutting back a few times and that usually only lasts a week. Currently I may not drink 2 days out of a month, so it has to be taking a toll on my body, but being a little short winded when working outside is the only real problem I have noticed. Any advice on how to stay busy to keep away from drinking?

I guess I should have said I really want to quit. I get by pretty good in life, but I feel like I am missing out on my calling in life, because everyday revolves around drinking. It is the first thing I do when I get home from work and it is still the last thing I do before I go to bed.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
CCW

Leaf. My story is very similar to yours. 65 days ago I made the decision to quit once and for all. I had quit many times before and for quite long spans of time. You have taken an important step, you have identified a problem and stated a desire to quit drinking. That is admirable and a great first step. What I did differently this last time is I admitted to everyone in my inner circle that I had a problem and wanted to quit. I let the secret out of the bag and divulged my weakness to alcohol to all of those who love and care for me. It worked. I then was admitted to a hospital for 3 days and went through a medical detox. After being released from the hospital I received expert counseling and after about a month started attending AA meetings. It's working. I highly recommend outing yourself to as many people as possible and then finding some sort of support program. The detox was a luxury for me, because I was very worried that my long term drinking had done permanent damage to my body and I wanted to find out. Not everyone has that opportunity, but I am blessed with excellent health care opportunities.

Quitting drinking has changed my life and opened up many doors for me. I know that my life will continue to get better, one day at a time. For many of us alcohol is a crutch, a numbing remedy to our problems, and an escape mechanism. But alcohol is only temporary, once the alcohol wears off the problems are still there. Life hasn't changed, so why drink? The drinking only exacerbates the problem.

You will have a long and hard road ahead, but it is worth it. I could go on and on. I hope this is a start and I pray that you will look to a higher power for help...because that higher power is there and will help you transition to a sober life. God Bless!