Notices

Day 2 - Feeling a lot of gratitude and positive feelings!

Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 - Feeling a lot of gratitude and positive feelings!

So, I've had a really great day 2 of sobriety! I woke up this morning and really tried to maintain a positive and grateful outlook.

I must say that to start the day, I was totally grateful that I felt rested and refreshed in the morning after a decent night's sleep, without a hangover! I guess that's what happens when one doesn't go to bed totally drunk.

It was really nice to wake up for work without having to look at myself in the mirror looking all tired, red-eyed, still tasting/smelling the alcohol on my breath.

I woke up feeling grateful about having a good job with a good company and great people to work with.

I feel grateful to have maintained a good relationship with my family throughout my drinking.

I felt good eating healthy today.

It was enjoyable to spend about an hour on the treadmill today, listening to some of my favorite tunes.

It was nice having a good dinner.

I felt much less alienated from the world, and that there are many other people who are alcoholic like me when I went to an AA meeting.

I feel thankful to have such a great forum to be able to post my thoughts, learn from, and relate to others.

I feel grateful to have a driver license and car to get around, and that I didn't screw that up by drinking and driving.

It felt good to get out and about and do things, rather than sit and drink at home.

I feel thankful for being able to stop by the grocer on the way home and purchase nourishing food.

I am happy that my favorite NBA team, the Phoenix Suns, won again today. It was enjoyable watching the last half of the game on TV!

I am grateful to have a nice, safe, warm place to live, and a comfortable bed to sleep in.

I am happy that through a sober lens, I can feel more appreciative of these things.

I am happy that I chose to feel today, rather than numb everything out through a liquid poison.

I will repeat a similar day tomorrow, and will do my absolute best to stay positive.

And, one of the most simple but yet profound things I thought of today is:

Things are just so much easier when sober. Life seems more simple. It feels like there is so much more time.

If it was 11:15pm like it is right now and I was drunk, I would be looking forward to maybe 4 hours of crappy sleep, suddenly awaking in a sweat with heart racing, with my body processing and fighting off all the alcohol that I ingested. I would not be able to fall back asleep easily, and if I did, it would probably not be until about 5:30am, and then my alarm clock would ring to wake up for work about 45 minutes later. Then, I would have to drag my sorry butt out of bed, put myself together, and then make my appearance at work.

Instead, being sober, I can look forward having a decent night's sleep, one where my body and internal organs can actually rest and recuperate from a day's use of energy, like the body is designed, rather than have to work overtime processing an excessive amount of a poison that was never meant for human ingestion.

In the most logical terms, the question arises: Why in the hell would I want to choose the former and subject myself to that, night after night, especially when there's a simple alternative, which is to simply just not drink the liquid poison called alcohol????????????

As we alcoholics know, alcoholism is far from logical, and has a very strong power over us, making us thing it is the holy grail and that it has wonderful effects. It makes us put it on a pedestal above all else.

Tonight I say screw that and its stupid pedestal. I am opting to stay sober. I am going to train myself to realize that feeling good and healthy, feeling humble, feeling grateful, and realizing the beauty that there is in this world is so incredibly much better than ingesting a poison that comes in a bottle.

Thank you everyone for allowing me a place to share, and thank you again for all of your insight and support. Writing down my thoughts feels really good and helpful. This site truly feels like a blessing.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober from 11/19/13-1/18/14

Wow, this was very insightful. I have been feeling many of the same things and I agree that I am more grateful and there is so much more time in the day. I love not waking up feeling horrendous, still tasting the alcohol on my breath. I am on day 22..almost 23 and I do have moments where it's very tough, but thanks for again, reminding me WHY I AM DOING THIS.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a great positive thread. I am glad you are feeling so well. The sober life certainly takes some beating. It is a usefull thing to remind ourselves of that from time to time.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sublimeami
nice to have you join us

D