Notices

Who here keeps a journal/diary?

Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who here keeps a journal/diary?

I have kept a diary since I was a little girl. I have a box full of them and love looking back through them. Sadly, in the last 2 years when I was drinking I hardly wrote in it, but every time I did it was about wanting to quit drinking. It is amazing how much I have changed with being sober! I am know I had a slip, but I am SO THANKFUL it was only 1 night and then I got right back into sobriety.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I've got over forty years worth in a drawer. Interesting stuff. I'm glad I kept them.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I've kept a journal off and on for a long time. It was pretty frightening to find an old entry from the early 90s where I was concerned about my drinking. If only had done something about it back then. I think journal are invaluable for reflecting on your thoughts and pushing you toward growth.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've just started to write down some of my thoughts - not a journal as such but just observations every now and again. Have a vague idea of writing some fiction at some point so thought it would help with that but have found it great so far for mindfulness and perspective!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I always say I am going to keep a journal, and then I never do.
I really should.
Since I don't have to quit drinking or smoking this year, maybe this will be my New Year resolution?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've done the same thing..........this time I haven't got a "sober" journal yet. I've just taken to finding awesome quotes or great articles about being happy and such! I just put all these printouts in a folder and read through them it got me through last night! It just gives me ideas about how GREAT this could be!
Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

no but I know a lot of self help type people suggest it and I have been intending to start
my brain still feels foggy and writing does't come easy to me
just found this, easier than me trying to recall why its a good idea
10 Reasons to Keep a Journal | Ririan Project
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I started a journal when I became concerned about my drinking. I thought that if I started to document what was going on it would create some awareness that would lead to quitting. That was three years ago. It's a messy, sad account of some dark times.

Funny to see this question because as I was driving to work today, I thought about that journal and how I might open it up later today to write down my sober birthday and record that I'm currently on 17 days sober.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I always wanted to but I never thought I had the time. Then, this summer I found this wonderful journal on sale at Barnes and Noble. It is called Building the Best You by Caroline Harper. Every day you answer 6 questions and there is only enough space to answer the questions to fill half the page. On the second half of the page you will answer the questions on the same date of year 2. After about 6 weeks there is a section with longer questions and more space to answer them. I haven't missed a day since I started. I just love it! Since they were on clearance, I went back and bought several more because it is good to reflect back on them, especially embarking on sobriety.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was a moderate drinker and used to journal a lot - one of the eye-openers when I was coming to grips with why I needed to quit for good was looking back through 15 years of journals and discovered I was writing about a lot of the same things. Not much had changed in terms of my personal goals and accomplishments. It was shocking and made me realize that I was spiritually and emotionally empty.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just started keeping a journal this time, when I decided to get sober again.. Sometimes there is just too much in my head that I can't say to the people around me... I have noticed sometimes I write in it 2 or more times a day.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think i might start a journal never really bothered before if i had then perhaps i might remember more of my drunken days