Notices

Day

Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day

This is my first time participating in any kind of group support, and I'm a wee bit intimidated as well as a number of other emotions, about posting here.

If I'm honest with myself, I've been struggling with alcohol since college. It has always been a socially acceptable outlet for my family, friends, etc. I also live in a town with a pretty significant drinking culture. I do not have support from my family or husband when it comes to being completely sober. They all comment that I should strive toward moderation instead.

I've tried moderation. For years. Once I have a drink, I can't stop. I've lost my father and brother to alcoholism and suicide. You'd think the motivation would be readily available.

Any support or advice would mean a lot.

Thanks,

Les
Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

My name is Vic and I am a alkie of sorts. So glad that you are here and you are taking a HUGE step just by posting. Yes it is a disease that once we drink the first one we can't stop. The last time I drank I was only going to numb the feelings of my Sister dieing I walked down and bought a 6 pack. Next thing I know is it was a month later and I was doing dope again. I have a picture of 4 Bud Bottles sitting on the entertainment center stacked in a pyramid fashion and don't remember taking the picture. Next thing I know is that it was a month later and don't even remember scoring the dope.

It took me years to finally accept or admit that I had a issue with alcohol cause it was legal. So yeah I have to remember that it might be legal to everyone else but it is illegal for me.

Not much to say but wanted to welcome you to our family!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome happyleslie, i could never moderate my drinking either. I had to quit drinking completely. SR is a wonderful place for support and understanding. It's really helped my recovery. I'm glad you have joined us.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome xx
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, HappyLeslie. The only sober people I know are on this forum! I get the whole family/friends/culture thing. The funny thing is that now that I have quit for over two months, some people's idea of moderation would raise your eyebrows. I was really worried about the "everyone I know is a drinker" aspect when I first came to SR, but now I see that nobody cares too much if you quit (as long as you don't mess with their drinking ). Also, my husband who wasn't a real big drinker to begin with has cut back to almost nothing since I quit, so you may see that you are setting a good example to the others in your life.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome happy don't be intimidated we are a nice group! I'm sure you will feel right at home in no time.

If you don't have your loved one support on total abstinence that might just say something about their own unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Do this for yourself and maybe those around you will change their tune!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, glad to have you aboard!! plenty of likeminded people for support!
Old 12-04-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, happyleslie. My experience with alcohol sounds very similar to yours. I discovered SR about 100 days ago. Thanks to the helpful and supportive people here, I have not had a drink since then. If I can quit, you can quit. Congratulations on taking the first very important step on a very, very rewarding journey. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Leslie

D
Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Happy, there's no reason to feel intimidated. You will find a lot of information and support on this site.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Like see said don't feel intimated. Some of us here have done the most "terrible" things imaginable. So no judgement from us new friend!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dee I meant.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you, so much, to all of you responding to my post.

This is such a difficult step for me, as for most, in that I don't have support from my partner. When I ask for support he asks me not to throw away his booze. NO support. we are both successful in our businesses, we have a beautiful home, an incredible son, we travel, etc...

He just doesn't see a need for change.

I do.

What do you do when your partner doesn't support your sobriety?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Les welcome to SR.