Notices

Sober?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober?

What do you people do when your sober? Just come off three days forced abstinence. Interested to know...
Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I like to write, look around the shops, eat (food tastes so much better) Oh, and I am mad for the internet. I couldn't look at it when drunk or hungover. It used to make me feel sick. I find it a real eye opener
Old 11-26-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only been a few weeks now for myself, but after the first week ended and my mind seemed to be a bit clearer, I've found myself reading a few more books, for the last 5 years I barely read a book, though every xmas people seemed to buy me a few autobiographies, which have been gathering dust as every night after work I'd drink and pass out into bed, in other words reading would have cut into my drinking time.

I'm sure though as the months pass by I'll probably venture to the odd sporting event or social occasion, and try enjoying those sober, not sure though when I'll be ready for that though.

Apart from that, at present I fill my time catching up on TV or going for walks, and the biggest time filler is sleeping, I'm getting to bed now earlier than I ever did compared to sitting up all night drinking, and generally feel alot more healthy as a result of it.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

4 months today and I think I've fixed just about everything on my honey-do list that's been shelved for the last few years.
Now planning some upgrades and remodeling.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So when your sober you achieve things? I do this anyway. What I mean is, when the need comes to drink, what does one do?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really as simple as not drinking! Figuring out what makes you want to drink.....addressing/resolving the issue.... And moving along.

Welcome to SR by the way

What brings you here?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by Thorsapprentice View Post
So when your sober you achieve things? I do this anyway. What I mean is, when the need comes to drink, what does one do?
Different people do different things, I suppose. But what helped me was to see the ' need' as an urge or a want, I then acknowledge it but I do not act on it.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Rampant drinking with a healthy dose of introspection and drs orders bring me here. Also belief in the Nine
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I put more emphasis in thought-provoking activities such as reading and movies. I have a inate urge to categorize and compartmentalize, so pursuing things labeled in genres or ideologies keeps my mind busy.

For me, quieting my mind is the best way for me to get by. I don't know what drove you to drink/use, but any of the activities mentioned supra should be sufficient if you really want something to occupy your time. That is a primary factor: are you willing to forego drinking/using and delve into other activities? Having a passion for something new will make your new endeavor of sobriety easier.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thorsapprentice View Post
For me I've soaked myself into going to AA meetings for a remember when it was so bad. I don't suffer well and for me it's an easy route and I see many old friend at meetings.

The thing I needed to do was get honest with myself about MY drinking and the reasons we get here and to AA. It wasn't from drinking too many chocolate frappes. I needed to want to get sober for MYSELF and other things fell into place. I needed to remember every moment a profound statement I finally heard at a meeting. "If we don't pick up that FIRST drink I wouldn't have to get sober ever AGAIN

I'd suggest reading a bunch of posts here to get an idea how to handle things as they arise and keep coming for another starter.

BE WELL
Old 11-26-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

Ok I'm piqued, what's the Nine?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nine Noble Virtues
Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

At first I just kept busy, once drinking was completely taken off the table as an option I found tons of stuff to do, and eventually felt just fine doing absolutely nothing. I remember at first I spent a lot of time in the gym, I slept more and better, I read books and remembered them, I went to a ton of movies with my husband, I started baking. Eventually I didn't need to replace my drinking with anything, I just became someone who doesn't drink and I do plain ol' things now, I just never drink!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Alcohol robbed me of getting any real enjoyment out of anything besides drinking. After awhile you get all that back. So for now anything to keep yourself busy and after that whatever your heart's desire is.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I just read about the nine virtues, sounds like a great belief system to live by. Is this the list?

COURAGE: Boldness, bravery, standing up for what you believe in and know is right.

HONESTY: Truth - In all things be true to yourself and to others.

HONOR: Do as you say and act upon your convictions. "Always" honor your oaths!

TROTH: Loyalty to yourself, family, folk, friends and the Gods & Goddesses.

STRENGTH: Self rule, self mastery, the self control and discipline to govern yourself by your convictions.

HOSPITALITY: To freely share your gifts with others.

INDUSTRIOUSNESS: To work wholeheartedly both hard and intelligently. To keep thinking and growing as a person.

SELF RELIANCE: Free standing. Rely on others as little as possible!

PERSEVERANCE: Don't give up at what you do until you feel it is completed and done well.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes. The words may be different. But truth is truth
Old 11-26-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Workout, dance lessons, catch up on my DVR, nap, do things around the house I always said I was going to do, hit a meeting, loads of things.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
When I'm in a tough situation, I call my sponsor or someone else who is sober. It's really good to have people to call and talk to.

As for what I do now that I'm sober? I work, hang out with sober friends, go to meetings, relax and watch a tv show or sports, mess around on the internet and call people to talk.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

At this point, I just live sober and do what I do. Early on, I wondered the same thing and had to fill the time a little. I took piano lessons, which was a great thing to focus on. I also built a crossfit jump box. I had been meaning to build this box, but as I got into it, it became a pretty therapeutic thing. Decided I would make the best box I ever made, didn't rush it like when I was drinking, didn't cut any corners, worked on it every night for almost 2 weeks. It's a masterpiece. I stenciled lettering under the clear coat and everything. I love using it and looking at it. Find things. Be patient. It's worth it.