Notices

A question about being tired

Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about being tired

My daughter (age 24) is on her 70ish day of sobriety. Lately, she is complaining about being so tired. I don't think its relapse because she lives here and is actually sleeping a lot. For example, last night she went to an early AA meeting so she could come home and go to bed because she was so tired. She was sound asleep at 7PM, got up at 8AM to go to IOP, got home at 1PM and is now taking a nap. This has been going on for about a week.

My question- did anyone else find themselves really tired while going through early recovery? She suffers from depression so I worry about that being the cause but I know the signs and don't see any of those.

I did ask her if something is wrong and all she said was "I don't know why, I'm just so tired."
Old 11-18-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Being tired is certainly a possible side effect of initial sobriety, but there's no way of knowing 100% without seeing a doctor. If she has concerns i'd recommend getting some medical advice ( which we can't give here ).
Old 11-18-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same as ScottFromWI.

But from my personall experience, I was always tired for a bit of time after stopping.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was quite tired as well,but pushed through it and kept busy.
But,I've heard that some folks are so tired they're actually bed ridden for a spell after quiting.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I think I will suggest she get a physical. I wasn't asking for medical advice rather I was just wondering if the process of working the steps, attending meetings, doing IOP and (I'm sure) fighting with yourself to stay focused and sober, is tiring and wondered if others experienced the same thing.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was tired for MONTHS.

Look into post acute withdrawal syndrome. It may help you understand what shes going through.

Depending on how much she did, and for how long, and her own personal physiology, this can all vary the amount and duration of symptoms.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, it's all exhausting. At 7 months, I am still considered in early sobriety and still sleep quite a bit. I went to my docs and everything checked out fine. The constant battle is what is so tiring.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am wondering if she is having a mental struggle with it? I am not an addict but I know when I struggle or am depressed sometimes instead of facing what is going on it would be a whole lot easier just to sleep. While I have two children that rarely, if ever, happens, but I sure do spend alot of my time thinking about when can I sleep and get some peace from all that is going on.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck to you all in figuring it out and Congrats to her on 70 days sober...that's great!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

You don't actually sleep properly when you are drinking. I think it is normal to have a bit of a catch-up after you stop
Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm the same im exhausted n thought it was down to having a cold but I think it'd my body saying oh hello what's this oh its proper sleep ill Ave some of that.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was very tired. Not only the extra physical things like going to meetings rather than sit on my ass and drink but mentally she has a lot going on. It takes quite a bit out of you.

It does balance out but I do find times I am still tired here and there.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I was very tired for the first three months. You might also want to look up PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrom)
There are quite a few threads on SR discussing it.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very tired too - I don't think it was even PAWs in my case

the amount of sheer prolonged stress I'd put my mind and body through as a drinker, I needed time to recuperate.

D
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was completely exhausted for 3 months. Like sleep 10 hours at a time and take naps kinda tired. It passed eventually, but I remember all I wanted to do was sleep and when I wasn't sleeping I was thinking about it!

If it persists certainly getting checked out is a good plan but it seems a common symptom of early sobriety.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was extremely tired . Seriously ...it was literally 3 whole months .

Her body is adjusting to missing the alcohol and she is probably grieving for it too.
I would DEFINATELY treat the depression above all else , especially if she has any prior history.

It will make her new journey somewhat more pleasant .

What a lovely Mum you are for caring so much xxx hugs xx