Notices

Wish I could sleep my life away

Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wish I could sleep my life away

It seems like the only relief I get in life anymore is when I am asleep. When I wake up all I want to do is go back to sleep, I will lay there for at least an hour trying to force sleep again. I don't want vacation somewhere, I don't want the holidays, I don't want anything really but sleep. I take Motrin PM every night so I won't wake up as much and I am actually somewhat upset when I can't go back to sleep. I so think I could sleep my life away....
Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should see a Dr. ASAP. There might be some other things going on including clinical depression. They can help you.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree. See your doctor for a check up. Best to be safe.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like depression, be careful of OTC sleep aids as they will compound your already depressed state. Has this been going on long? I rember you recently posted about feeling good where you were at in your sobriety, I think we are roughly the same amount sober.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have gone to doctors in the past and they always put me on anti-depressants. They have never worked for me and I have tried them all. I don't want to be on anything anyways. I have finally gotten all of the crap out of my system, no alcohol, no prescriptions...... This has gone on for years I guess, but not really this bad before. I love my family but besides that I don't really know the point to my life
Old 11-16-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You might want to give anti-depressants another chance, you said they didn't work for you but also you were drinking up until March. It is well-known that alcohol flushes medicines out of the body.

Last edited by Coldfusion; 11-16-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

What about some kind of cognitive therapy? I have that and it's great. Far better than antidepressants. x
Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better soon I no what U mean with the docks changing tablets all the time give U tablets and send U on the road keep your chin up x
Old 11-16-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear you are feeling that way. I suffered from depression so bad that all I did was sleep for 22 hours a day. No emotion, no feelings, no compassion for anyone or anything, nothing amused me, felt dead inside.

I stopped eating for 2 months , lost 80 lbs, lost all use of my arms and legs and speech and ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks and then a nursing home for 2 months. They thought I was going to end up in an institution. Was on a feeding tube in a diaper.

This was about 2 yrs 8 months ago. I went thru physical therapy. They changed my meds several times. Some of those mood stabilizers just numbed me out. I'm not sure if they found the right combination or it was God , (I Believe it was both) but I went to church one day after I got out of the nursing home and two ladies prayed for me. I am a Christian. Three days later the depression was completely lifted. I was laughing, exhilarated, happy. I went out and was mowing the lawn and cutting the hedges.

I have not had a single day of real depression since. Most of my days are really , really good.

I know how you feel, I have been there and no one else seems to understand and it's hard to explain it to them.

If it is clinical depression, you will not be able to think yourself out of it.
Please reconsider talking to a psychiatrist again and remember anything is possible with God. I am a miracle!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had some decades of varying types of depression.
Tried many anti depressant but only one worked really well. It was taken from the market due to some acute liver failures.
It is very much a thing of getting the specific one that suits you.
Even among a group such as the SSRIs you could miss one of them, and that might be the one that would help you.
AS already suggested cognitive therapy might help too.
When depressed it is extremely difficult to think about meds and therapies. Often we really have to push ourselves to take action.
Never give up!
Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with talking to your dr.

Sometimes it takes time to find the right dosage and right medication.

I do take antidepressants and for me, it's for a chemical imbalance in my brain, and they level the playing field. I wouldn't be in recovery otherwise.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me, this time of year makes me want to sleep. The days are short and it's cold. The only thing that really helps me is exercise.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am looking for a more natural approach with diet and exercise, I guess. I currently see a therapist but I just have to find some motivation, hopefully hiding somewhere inside me...
Old 11-16-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Praying for you ! You are a lovely lady and you deserve a lovely life.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think U look good the way U are no need to diet am sure you will find the motivation and ay lest your sober wish U all the best
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Charliee. What are you passionate about? For me, feeling of use, having a purpose, being of value to this world helps me with depression. Maybe try something new and get busy.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm no doctor but I have struggled with this depression too. You are on the right track talking about it. Do you work Charliee? We need some discipline and a job or to even volunteer helps. It helps us get out of self and if we help another it's strange but we feel good, fact. Also diet , when we stop putting poison of alcohol in our systems we feel better after the hangover of course, but living life on life's terms can be dull again ( look up paws) diet for me eating fruit and vegetables n drinking water, makes me feel better than all the toxins that are in say McDonald's for instance. It makes me feel better. The last one but just as important for me I'd exercise ! It helps me no end. I haven't been as fit in my life as I have never have myself the chance through drink n drugs. You are young too. If u just start easy maybe a small walk to begin with then a jog to a bit of running. Tracking your progress and feeling better as you get fitter. Exercise also boosts endorphins the body's natural opiates so you get high from the stuff god gave you, n it's free n it doesn't give you hangovers and depression. That's my three tips that when I do them , they keep me ok. Keep fighting through this Charliee you and me have the same time so I want you to be here when we celebrate fifty years sobriety together , 1 day at a time. Good luck
Peace
Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post

I so think I could sleep my life away....
yes, I can relate to that
but we know it's best for us
when we get out and do something with our day
in early sobriety I wanted to do the least amount I could each day
and preferred to stay in bed or on the couch
this got better with sober time under my belt (close to one year)
even today with 6 years I get the urge to be lazy
but, fight it off at most times and get out into the world for my day

try to break free of this

MM
Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, I work and volunteer. I believe exercise and nutrition are my next steps in my recovery, its just really tough finding the motivation. You guys really help me with that though and I really do appreciate it!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charliee View Post
Yes, I work and volunteer. I believe exercise and nutrition are my next steps in my recovery, its just really tough finding the motivation. You guys really help me with that though and I really do appreciate it!
this is the hardest part of recovery, being responsible and getting a routine. This is critical to your recovery. Recovery is doing exactly the opposite of what you normally would normally do . when we are drinking, we can not have a routine at all much less if we did, we wouldn't follow it. This programs is about doing everything different. So start with a routine … Get up at the same time every day, get a shower, do your meditations etc. Once you done this for 30 days it will become a habit. And you will feel a lot more motivated and not so overwhelmed. You will feel in control.