Notices

Surgery

Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Surgery

Back from the hospital. Surgery went well, resting in bed with leg elevated.

I took some pain medication at the hospital - they forced and I did not make a huge stink. I have gotten rid of the Oxy's though and just on Advil. Wondering if my sobriety is tainted. My wife thinks that is nut but what is going through my mind.

Since I flushed the pills they prescribed and am taking 800mg of Advil, I think I have done everything to maintain my sobriety and that is honest.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I don't think it is tainted if you used it legitimately. It's when you're not in a whole lot of pain an you take one just because that would taint sobriety, I think. Get better soon!
Old 11-13-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Your sobriety is only tainted if you feel you did something willingly/knowingly to taint it in my book. Medicine prescribed by a doctor for a medical procedure certainly doesn't fall in that category in my book.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks...they make it impossible not too. Disclosed I am an alcoholic and adict and they still out it in my IV and sent my dad home with the pills. So once I could do something about it, I am now taking over the counter Advil.

Pain is at a level six right now
Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you're doing OK, J. And sorry you're hurting, hope you're feeling better soon.

For what it's worth, I had a dental procedure back in May that eventually ended up being a lot more painful than anticipated. I resisted Vicodin initially but did end up taking the two the doctor prescribed so I could sleep and function. I am primarily an alcoholic but did have an issue with pills back in college so I was concerned about this breaking my sobriety. My sponsor said that if it is prescribed by a doctor (who knows your addiction history), and taken strictly as prescribed, it is not breaking sobriety. I am in AA, not NA, but I did not consider that breaking my sobriety. If I had gotten more, abused the two I had, or decided to take someone else's...well, different ball game, I think.

Take good care and let us know how you're getting on!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

For what it's worth I consider legitimate pain relief taken as prescribed and directed is not a taint of any kind

hope you feel well soon JD

D
Old 11-13-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad that is over & you're on the mend. I agree with Dee about the pain relief.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks - I am going to try and make my home group tonight to discuss
Old 11-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad to hear it went well! By no means is anything tainted. You actually used the drug for its intended reason like it was made to do.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear DJ

Glad you are ok!
It is part of your recuperation & that is legitimate!
Is normal you get nervous....
Just make sure you use it as prescribed!
For the time & amount presctibed only!!!

Look after the leg!!!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think your sobriety sounds wonderful....you are thinking with a clear mind about your medication. If you experience too much pain, you will not heal. Do what you can, talk honestly about your medication with someone like your wife who can keep an eye on you and the dosage/timing/etc. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
Back from the hospital. Surgery went well, resting in bed with leg elevated. I took some pain medication at the hospital - they forced and I did not make a huge stink. I have gotten rid of the Oxy's though and just on Advil. Wondering if my sobriety is tainted. My wife thinks that is nut but what is going through my mind. Since I flushed the pills they prescribed and am taking 800mg of Advil, I think I have done everything to maintain my sobriety and that is honest.
so happy you are recovering jdooner! but please take your advil or motrin as needed and dint be shy about explaining to your doctor your high doses. pain management is required for the healing process after surgeries or medical procedures to reduce the trauma on the body.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi JD! Glad to see you are well. I don't consider your sobriety tainted at all. You got rid of the Oxy's and are now taking Advil. Plus, you came here and posted your concern. I think you are doing just fine. Hang in there!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I went to my AA meeting tonight on crutches and in my knee brace. I wanted to hare with others my thoughts. I hoped my pain would be worse so I could take more meds. I have gotten rid of the narcotics and did not take any. The pain is there a dull throbbing but the ice, Advil and elevation can keep my level to tolerable.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hi JD, Glad you're doing well! I'm currently in a similar situation. After 7.5 months of sobriety, I had to have a double hip replacement last week. Even though alcohol is my drug of choice, I was terrified at the prospect of having to take narcotics for pain. Unfortunately, this was the kind of surgery where there was no way I could make it through without the pain killers.

So I spilled my guts to my sponsor, all my AA friends and every single doctor and nurse I've come in contact with. I was assured by everyone that I was not compromising my sobriety if I was taking them for the sole purpose of pain management for an acute surgical procedure. But I know myself. I know that my alcoholic brain can get hooked on anything.

So I made sure that I had a plan in place for every step of the way to keep me in check. This included checking into an inpatient rehab facility for my rehab so that the nurses could distribute my meds and the docs have a plan in place to wean me off the drugs when the pain starts subsiding. I took no chances because I know that I could not trust myself home alone with a bottle of pills. The key for me has been honesty. I shared about what I was feeling in AA before my surgery. I was honest with my sponsor about my concerns. I was honest with my doctors about my drug and alcohol history. And most importantly, I had to be honest with myself about my character defects and limitations.

Sometimes life throws us curveballs that jeopardize our sobriety. But I know that, at least for me, as long as I continue to practice a program of vigorous honesty, I will not relapse.

My friends are brining a meeting to me tomorrow in the rehab and I'm really excited. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think you've done fine...better than most. I take a prescription pain medication for a chronic illness, and I don't believe it has anything to do with my sobriety. It's for a very specific purpose, and if I don't take it, I have difficulty walking. As another SR person said, "I didn't get sober to live in pain every day".
Old 11-14-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Dig dug - you and I went about this similarly. I took one pill in the hospital and they gave it in my IV. I am off the narcotics now and dealing with the pain using Advil and Aspirin. You are likely in more pain an I. I broke my femur a few years back and could not go through that without pain meds. I think this process and being honest will make us both stronger.

I went to my meeting last night and it felt great.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no reason you should be in pain from surgery because you're an addict. The bottom line is accountability and you seem to be on top of things. I hope you feel better.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad you are doing pretty ok. Physical pain can take the mind past rationality. Your sobriety is in your rational mind, your caution is advisable but you are being a little hard on yourself. Perfect is the enemy of good, man. You didn't walk in front of a bus to get pain meds,ffs.