Notices

Natural medicine/supplement thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Natural medicine/supplement thread

Does anyone want to share experiences or opinions about using herbs, vitamins, supplements, non-recovery-hindering medicine use for support in sobriety... There are many threads like this but I still decided to start a fresh, new one.

My opinion about using medicine to support recovery is that it should not hinder recovery in any way, and it should be safe to use. Prescriptions by medical professionals is one thing, but otherwise taken supplement should be as "natural" as possible.

I've done some research for this and found one thing particularly interesting... It is melatonin and can be found in any drugstore without prescription. Here's some information about melatonin:

* By studies, considered to be very safe to use. With none to non-existent "side-effects". It is a natural substance produced in the body.
* Not expensive, meaning that it is rather cheap.
* Slows down or even cancels aging? (raw scientific data exists to support this, has to do with protecting the DNA)
* Protects the brain, protects against cancers and many diseases.
* Causes more vivid dreams (personal experience) and helps with sleep... this is its primary function anyway... for better sleep.
* Is documented to have effect on depression... A bit like chocolate, a natural aid for depression. (has something to do with serotonin again).
* After using melatonin (personal experience), sleep is better, falling asleep is better, the feeling when waking up is WAY better. (not advertising anything, just personal experience)
* other seemingly mysterious benefits which include boosted vitality
* actually prevents stress due to canceling the production of stress compounds/chemicals in the brain, thus also protecting from stress-related braindamage. Strange thing.

Now if you don't believe this list you can always look for real studies online with valid sources. I'm too lazy to put sources here but I've done my studies and can recommend this... This might be one of those things that truly help with recovery, in a natural non-intrusive way.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I recommend that everyone thinking of taking a supplement check with their Dr or pharmacist first - many supplements can interact with other medications & what worked for someone else may not work for you.

I'd also ask we please stick to personal experience - remember our medical advice rule.

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals
D