Notices

New to this

Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

I have never done this but I feel like it is verymuch needed and overdue.
I am an alcoholic and have been for most of my life. I recently went out with co workers and felt like I could handle a couple shot cuz I'd don't drink everyday or much at all anymore. Well it doesn't work. It's a bit embarrassing to have your boss drive you home. See I have only attend two Aa Meetings in my life. I know that I need to go but I feel like I can't promise not to drink again. So I automatically set myself up for failure. I have family that is going through this celebrate recovery and it's something I need. I really have no support but my faith in God..
That is why I am here today. I know I need support groups.
So today I will turn over a new leaf. No more alcohol.
Thanks for being here
Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR from a fellow Buckeye. You're smart to stop drinking. Giving up drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Well you're getting sober in the town where AA began. It might bring you luck to visit 855 Ardmore Ave where some of the first meetings were held. The home is open noon to 3AM daily.

BTW, just do it a day at a time.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You don't have to promise to never drink again. Just for today. Can you promise yourself that you won't drink today? That's how you start, and that's how you succeed.
Best of luck to you!
Old 11-09-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Faithwelp
welcome - you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here.

I was worried about forever too - then I realised that all of us, alcoholics or not, live our lives one day at a time.

All I need to do today is stay sober today. Then I need to make that same promise tomorrow, & so on...

Work on your recovery - get some help whether it's AA or CR or something else - you'll find you get stronger and stronger.

Maybe soon forever won't be so scary?

D
Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I go to AA and have for 2 years. I'm 48 hours sober. I have spent more days sober than drunk though during those 2 years. Going to AA doesn't mean I won't ever drink again, it means I have a desire to stop drinking and I want to stay sober that day. I keep trying
Old 11-09-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

You will find different recovery methods here and I'm sure that you will find something that will work for you. I'm glad you are committed to stopping drinking. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with 'forever', rather just focus on getting through each day sober.