Notices

Progress rather than perfection

Old 11-06-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Progress rather than perfection

Ahh I feel pretty content right now I've been thinking today about my recovery, and though I don't have the "perfect program" (if there is even such a thing) I seem to be making some progress.

Like yesterday, regardless of my fear of socializing with people my age(part of my aspergers) , I forced myself to go to a young persons NA meeting with my sponsor and I absolutely LOVED it. I ignored my social awkwardness and immediately made it my homegroup.. yaay I finally have a homegroup that I like, AND it's close to my house.

And I've been getting better and better at picking up the phone when I'm feeling screwed up. I've been calling my sponsor every single day, even when I don't want to. And I'm reaching out to other people too, which I've NEVER done before, such as my sponsee brothers, my grand-sponsor, and other people in the program. I find it's getting easier and easier the more I do it and although it's still not completely comfortable, it really does help. For example; today I started getting into a funk, kind of felt like using, and without thinking and I peaked into my moms purse and found more than $80 and my disease/AV immediately started talking: "Awe man 80 bucks!? Take the money and ride the bus downtown, go to the west side and cop some dope, it'll be fun!".. I was tempted but I immediately got on the phone and talked to my sponsor, and then another recovering addict and I felt less insane and more serene. And I know I made a bad decision even snooping through my mom's purse, but I followed it up with a good decision by not acting on those thoughts and talking about it.

I wake up early every morning and read the Just For Today NA Daily Meditation and read a chapter from my basic text. I'm also working Step 1 of the Twelve Steps of NA.

I don't think I've ever worked so hard of my recovery to be honest. And I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I really see something different in myself this time, and others tell me the same.. I guess when the pain of using becomes greater than the pain of staying clean, which it did, is when recovery truly begins.

So I guess the point of this post it to just update you all at where I'm at since I've made a commitment to stay in touch with you guys more often, and to say, even though I don't have much clean time, that recovery IS possible, regardless of age(im 17),race, sex, religion, or what our drug of choice was.

Today is day 26.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 26 days clean!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AlmA

So pleased for you...26 days awesome!

Stay clean becomes greater than being using!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job jake - we're proud of you.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic job,
Recovery seems to be improving many aspects of your life. You are putting in the wok and getting the rewards.

Rightly so

Caihong
Old 11-06-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 26 days sober, Jake!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to see you're working hard Jake- I really believe we get out what we put in

D
Old 11-06-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I really liked this post. Congrats on 26 days.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's great to hear this from you!

Keep coming back...
Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

One moment at a time , keep putting one foot in front of the other Jake .

It's great to see you dealing with all this suff , keep on doing the next right thing .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

I've been clean for 7 days,I know it's just a week but it's my first time trying to quit and I', doing the best I can.Your post was an inspiration to me,you're so young and you're already fighting this hard battle with such strength,you're definitely an inspiration and you've made me want to stay clean for at least one more day,one day at a time,right?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
I ignored my social awkwardness and immediately made it my homegroup.. yaay I finally have a homegroup that I like, AND it's close to my house.
That is God doing for us, what we could not do for ourselves.

Once I let go and opened my heart to suggestion, the pieces started to fall into place.

My friend said something a couple weeks ago, "we can complicate a cotton ball" and boy is that the truth. When I let go and take life as it comes it is always filled with amazing things and people.

Keep working the program and keep reaching out. The moment we stop doing that is when the cotton ball comes into play. We try to take back control.

You can only learn as much as you allow it and I think that is something that we learn slowly, at least for me. When I allow myself to learn from others...GASP! the more I learn. The more I learn the easier my life is.

Congrats on 26 days. Keep on, keeping on, one day at a time.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jakec View Post
Ahh I feel pretty content right now I've been thinking today about my recovery, and though I don't have the "perfect program" (if there is even such a thing) I seem to be making some progress.

Like yesterday, regardless of my fear of socializing with people my age(part of my aspergers) , I forced myself to go to a young persons NA meeting with my sponsor and I absolutely LOVED it. I ignored my social awkwardness and immediately made it my homegroup.. yaay I finally have a homegroup that I like, AND it's close to my house.

And I've been getting better and better at picking up the phone when I'm feeling screwed up. I've been calling my sponsor every single day, even when I don't want to. And I'm reaching out to other people too, which I've NEVER done before, such as my sponsee brothers, my grand-sponsor, and other people in the program. I find it's getting easier and easier the more I do it and although it's still not completely comfortable, it really does help. For example; today I started getting into a funk, kind of felt like using, and without thinking and I peaked into my moms purse and found more than $80 and my disease/AV immediately started talking: "Awe man 80 bucks!? Take the money and ride the bus downtown, go to the west side and cop some dope, it'll be fun!".. I was tempted but I immediately got on the phone and talked to my sponsor, and then another recovering addict and I felt less insane and more serene. And I know I made a bad decision even snooping through my mom's purse, but I followed it up with a good decision by not acting on those thoughts and talking about it.

I wake up early every morning and read the Just For Today NA Daily Meditation and read a chapter from my basic text. I'm also working Step 1 of the Twelve Steps of NA.

I don't think I've ever worked so hard of my recovery to be honest. And I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I really see something different in myself this time, and others tell me the same.. I guess when the pain of using becomes greater than the pain of staying clean, which it did, is when recovery truly begins.

So I guess the point of this post it to just update you all at where I'm at since I've made a commitment to stay in touch with you guys more often, and to say, even though I don't have much clean time, that recovery IS possible, regardless of age(im 17),race, sex, religion, or what our drug of choice was.

Today is day 26.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I too got sober when I was 17 quite a few years ago. Finding people my own age in recovery at the time was a great asset in getting clean and sober. Some have become lifelong friend, some have passed, and most I've lost touch with. Just remember to stop and smell the roses in your journey .
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Jake, congratulations on 26 days. You are right, sometimes we cannot control what we think. It's how we act on those thoughts. You got it.