Notices

Wondering about moderation, read my before and after story

Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My wife and I had the moderation discussion after stopping for 1 year. We talked ourselves into it and it didn't work. The return of drunkenness was very gradual.

Thanks for the post. Friday's coming and I feel very much like a social drinker right now. It’s so weird how your mind can trick you.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am among those who had the obsession that one day I could drink like a normal person. After first 8 years of sobriety, I relapsed...thinking I could moderate. Then I had 3 years of sobriety...and then tried to moderate...finally I put together another 4 years.... only to try to moderate again. This ended in me drinking for the last 3 years (sometimes in moderation), but eventually drinking daily ( and many episodes of blackouts, embarrassment, remorse...the usual stuff. I am now on day 24 and KNOW that I can not pick up the first drink. I am UNABLE to moderate. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Realising my life

There are some brilliant posts on this thread Until I started lurking on SR I had no idea how impossible it would be to moderate. I knew I had to give up drinking for a long, long time, but I did think that maybe one day the one glass of champagne at very special events might be ok....

Thanks to people with the courage, honesty and open-heartedness to share their experiences, I now know that I cannot ever consider it. Hopefully, others too, will be spared the misery of a doomed-to-failure moderating attempt. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

perfect post for me today thank you
Old 11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this! I needed it. Hope you don't mind if I cut and paste it into my sobriety journal!
Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thankyou for this post. For me it is definitely a case of one is too many and 1000 never enough. I crossed the line into alcoholism and i know i can't ever do moderation. That is why i get so frustrated with my insanity of keeping picking up. It only ever gets worse. Need to smash my denial.