Notices

Has any alcoholic ever successfully drank again?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sirsean View Post
I wonder if anyone with significant sober time has ever tried & succeeded?
Welcome Sirsean! My thoughts on this is that "if anyone had success with this then most likely they would not be posting here today."

The relapse posters I have read on SR from people who have had long-term sobriety are usually all bad and very sad. Fortunately for me, these posters are a great reminder on how one must stay vigilant and NEVER give in to "having just one"....

SR is a wonderful support tool on the road of recovery!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I do not have anywhere near 26 years of sobriety. That is an awesome feat. Seriously.

However, I tend to think those of us addicted to alcohol ("alcoholics") have similar thought patterns when it comes to drinking. I would not suggest it, only because you have gone so long without drink, why start now? Just to have A cocktail at a social event? Really try and think why you want to do. Do you want to be a "social" drinker and just sip on one with others, or in the back of your mind are you thinking "Yeah I want to get the buzz again...that bliss...etc etc" Pretty much the lie that our addiction feeds us.

If AA has worked for you in the past I would suggest hitting one up perhaps? I would also suggest checking out our Secular Recovery forum towards the bottom of the main page. Lots of alternative methods found in there including AVRT, SMART etc. Maybe you just need a change/something different?

Good luck and happy Friday
Old 11-01-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
What this post says to me is that the addictive voice is a patient sonofabitch.
What great insight. Thank you DoubleBarrel!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One question? After so long and what an effort it had/has to be, why would you want to risk it? I personally don't think it is possible because I believe alcoholism is in your genes. I am just curious to know why on earth you would want to even roll the dice?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SirSean

I can only share my experience and I've gone back to drinking enough times to know that the song always remains the same for me.

I've accepted that I will never drink again and I'm at ease with that.

26 years is a massive achievement. I'd be thinking incredibly carefully about turning my back on that.

D
Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What this post says to me is that the addictive voice is a patient sonofabitch.

So true. The Big Book says that alcohol cunning, baffling and powerful. It is also damn patient.

I had 5 1/2 years and thought I was cured.

I quickly found out I wasn't. And once I let alcohol back into my life I had a hell of a time getting it back out again.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Add me to the list of those who tried, failed, and had a nightmare of a time regaining my sobriety. It's nice to meet you Sirsean! Glad you found us & wanted to discuss this.

I was sober 3 yrs. Went on a date, was very nervous, & he ordered wine. Instead of saying I didn't drink, I decided to sip it. The glass of wine turned into 4 glasses. The next day I didn't feel too bad - so decided I could safely drink 'once in awhile' - but that night I had more to drink. I was off again - this time it lasted for 7 yrs. of hell, in which I got 2 dui's and spun completely out of control, worse than ever. I can never touch the stuff again. I'm convinced I'd lose my life.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was sober for over 26 years and relapsed...I am now at 149 days. I will not drink again NO MATTER WHAT!! Fortunately, I am coming back into my sober body and mind and I thank GOD everyday for sobriety!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

The short answer is almost assuredly, resolutely "no"!

Audrey Kishline is the founder of Moderation Management, once a celebrity du jour appearing on Oprah, and she infamously killed two people in a driving accident a few years later. (in fairness, I ought to say, she left MM and joined AA)

Alcohol & Drug Abuse: A Research-Based Analysis of the Moderation Management Controversy
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Good mrg sirsean!
Three words: cunning, baffling, powerful
It's not worth it coz in all those years sober, it's been progressing by doing push-ups out in the parking lot!!!
AGAIN, Not worth it
Old 11-01-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Grateful

Let's keep piling up the statistics!

I first got sober in 1990. I stayed sober for close to 7 years and started drinking again (didn't work the steps and stopped going to meetings after ~5 years). It was a year long relapse in which things got worse than they were before.

I got sober again in in 1997 and stayed sober for 7+ years and started drinking again (didn't work the steps and stopped going to meetings after ~5 years). I guess you could call me a slow learner, or an alcoholic, or both. This time I stayed out for 8 years and it got really, really, really bad. My soul had become so sick that every day when I got up (or came to) I had to decide whether to kill myself or pour a drink. I had reached that point where I couldn't image life with or without alcohol.

By the grace of my HP (who I thought had given up on me) I had a moment of clarity one day and reached out for help. I am now a bit over 6 months sober, and I made the single most important decision in my life. I decided to actually become a member of the program of AA and take the 12 Steps with a sponsor who applies the principles of the program in his daily life. I decided that I wanted what he had and he freely shared it with me.

So count me as another one who has tried to drink after significant sober time and failed...twice.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Only an alcoholic would seriously be considering picking up a drink again. You're an AA person...you realise the obsession to drink has returned don't you. Please get back to a meeting before it's too late.

I know only of stories where this ended badly, and there are plenty of those around.

I'm worried for you. Please make the right choice here.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sirsean, why? If you were diabetic you wouldn't start eating cake after 26 years just because everyone around you did.

The only thing wrong with you is your thinking, after 26 years, alcohol would have no concerns whatsoever to you if you weren't an alcoholic. Get to a meeting. Soon.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I gave up smoking in 2004 and i will never smoke again .
I gave up drinking in 2011 and i will never drink again .

What are you missing out on ? the sweats , the loss of control bodily and mentally ? high blood pressure ? liver damage ? kidney damage ? brain damage ? having arguments over something you cant remember ? having the mood swings ? the low level depression ? dog breath ? receding gums ? the slipshod personal hygiene after having too much ? passing out ? drunk in charge of a out of control brain , internet or mobile phone ?

I just can't see the convincing argument for even considering it ,

Stay strong , remember why you gave up in the first place .

Bestwishes, m
Old 11-02-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Same thing. Tried and failed. It never worked for me. The same thing with cigarettes, basically. This helps reinforce the idea that it is a dirty addiction.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Mecanix - I'm printing that post in case I'm ever tempted - thanks for that!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Every alcoholics dream...to be able to drink again like a "normal" person. Some where along the way that switch was flipped for us. It wasn't instant, we all (hate to speak for the majority but my best guess anyway) started out as normal drinkers. Then something changed and we became excessive drinkers. Drinkers with a lack of control. I felt so good just a few days ago. Relapsed and I don't even have a good reason for it. Can it be done? I agree with the others, if it can be they aren't hanging out here. My latest set back, I hope, has taught me a lesson. Alcohol is the devil. Having one doesn't work for me. I cannot buy it. I cannot have it in the house. One slip and I'm drinking all day. Please don't do this to yourself. I wish I had twenty + years sober right now and not going back to day one.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

when i first read this, i said "seriously?", this guy is an uber sober stud! but decides to float the idea of having "a beer" after mowing the lawn ... holy shi*. reality check - we are in for a lifetime of vigilance, against an enemy that so badly wants to see us fail ... breathe ... not to overwhelm myself - lifetime commitment done one day at a time.

thanks sirsean for your honesty i, for one, needed to read this.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Looks like the OP is not going to reply. Maybe it wasn't what they expected or wanted to hear. I too would like to thank sirsean for raising the topic.

This has been really helpful to remind me, and a lot of us it looks like, by everyone's examples how dangerous this "moderation" thinking is for most of us no matter how long we've stopped.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyhour View Post
when i first read this, i said "seriously?", this guy is an uber sober stud! but decides to float the idea of having "a beer" after mowing the lawn ... holy shi*. reality check - we are in for a lifetime of vigilance, against an enemy that so badly wants to see us fail ... breathe ... not to overwhelm myself - lifetime commitment done one day at a time.

thanks sirsean for your honesty i, for one, needed to read this.
Uber sober stud....now that is just a tshirt waiting to happen.