Notices

alcohol and opiates

Old 10-23-2013, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

alcohol and opiates

oh where to start where to start where to start, we will start with alcohol I have been clean from alcohol abuse for well over two years and unlike most of the people out there quitting drinking after 20 years of pretty hardcore alcoholism was surprisingly easy one day I decided that if I wanted my family to work I would have to quit drinking and I did just like that, I would drink a bottle of liquor day and maybe I have a case of beer on top of it and I did this everyday for at least 10 years and for the 10 years prior I drank a substantial amount not really sure how much but not a day went by that I did not drink. Now I'm not saying that my situation is common I would say it is actually more on common to just be able to decide to stop drinking one morning when you woke up and never ever ever touch you drink again I feel blessed for that and I am very thankful for whatever gave me the strength to do that that does not mean it will be easy for anybody else because I've tried AA thing I've tried NA thing but what really cook for me to quit drinking was the want and desire to do so I'm not saying that 12 step programs or support groups are bad because they are not they are a wonderful wonderful thing but they just were not for me...
Now opiates... this on the other hand well not so easy I am on day 4 of complete sobriety if you can call it that after 4 days and let me tell you I never expected to go through so much hell in my entire life I would not wish this on my worst enemy I have to want I have the desireand thanks to my wife I have the support this is the hardest thing I have ever gone through in my entire life I have been on opiates for probably now that I think back on it going on 5 years it started off as simple as getting kidney stones and taking medicine to not feel the pain before and after surgery and I realize hey I like the way I feel so I kept taking them and taking them and taking them never realizing that I was becoming addicted and unfortunately this is how a lot of opiate dependence starts. About 6 months ago my wife and I decided that we no longer wanted to do opiates so we started taking suboxone wow great suboxin something to help us quit well the bad part of Suboxone is it last for a long time is a lot cheaper in a lot easier to get your hands on so there starts my new addiction. A friend of mine told me that he knew of a quick methadone detox that he just went through and I figured I would give it a shot you take methadone for one week dropping down to 10 milligram pills a day until you have nothing and you are supposed to come of it feeling like a million bucks. Well I felt more like 25 cents but I was not poor I had something I'm going to quit your key with troll many times because I just simply did not have anything and this experience is nothing even close to that believe me I'm not seeing in dancing but I'm not wanting to cut off my skin either so day 4 of absolutely no drugs at all and I think I am going to get through this again it's not easy its not fun but it is necessary for the first time in 20 years of my life I am on absolutely no drugs or alcohol unless you consider cigarettes but you know people have to have there really something else right now. Surprisingly enough leaving this message on here actually gives me some hope I don't know that I will do anything for anybody else but as most addicts know sometimes you have to be a little selfish and this is helping me so hopefully it might help you
Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR

D
Old 10-24-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, NOTtheEnd. It's good to see you here. I hope SR can help you on your journey to living a sober life, as it's helped me.