Notices

The binges are over.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The binges are over.

I've never been a 'traditional' alcoholic, which is why I allowed this to go on so long.

It started during college when I busted my tail during the week, but Friday and/or Saturday night, I went as hard as someone can go. I was a great student, went on to get a great job, etc. No one has any idea that I have this problem.

I'm in my late-20s now, and don't go out all that often anymore after moving to a new town. I'm able to have a casual beer with dinner, and I have gone out on a work night exactly one time in my professional life.

But of the 6 or 7 times I've gone 'out' drinking with friends over the past five months on weekends, four of them have ended in complete blackout, hate-the-world hangovers.

The last one happened on Sunday, October 20, when I spent 3 hours in the emergency room after I was separated from my group, and passed out on the patio of a bar. At 2:30 a.m., the bar staff checked on me and said that I seemed well enough to get a cab when I felt up to it.

When they locked up the bar at 4 a.m., they said that I had vomited on myself and they were forced to call for EMS. They didn't feel comfortable calling a cab, though I was somewhat responsive.

A Sunday morning hangover doesn't have the impact of waking up in a hospital. It might not have been my worst binge, but I'm committed to it being the last.

Looking forward to talking with you all, and getting through this.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

October20

you are among friends and thousands of people know exactly also what has gone on with you and drinking.

Keep reading and posting.

SR, along with AA, Alanon, and RET, has helped me learn a new way of life...

For me, being an addict and alcoholic, I can not use alcohol nor drugs safely. I experienced blackouts, 911 calls.

I've had many periods of clean time and sobriety...and would not live any other way....

You will find many people wanting to help and share their experiences with you....keep an open mind while reading....there are priceless wealth of experiences here.

Have a good night....
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by October20 View Post
I've never been a 'traditional' alcoholic, which is why I allowed this to go on so long.
We come from all traditions Welcome!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After taking a look around, starting to realize there's no such thing as a 'traditional' alcoholic
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Realising that "alcoholism" takes many forms was my catalyst for stopping.

I was drinking at home most nights of the week, I moved abroad two years ago and due to my anti-social drinking, I haven't made many friends. It has been a vicious circle in that I didn't have any friends so I drank at home, which meant I didn't go out the day after as I was hungover and so didn't ever meet new people. And repeat.

Any excuse I could find would lead to a night involving upwards of 15-20 units of alcohol, about five nights a week. I didn't drink every night but if I had one beer, I had to have twenty. Once the first sip has been taken it is game over.

I always thought to be alcoholic you had to wake up and drink every single day from am to pm to am, the media stereotyped alcoholic. I was so wrong.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I never thought I was a traditional alcoholic either - as I was a binge drinker in college too. I got good grades and went on to graduate from grad school - which made it all the more difficult for me to grasp my alcoholism. The binge drinking for me VERY quickly (I'm only 3 years out of college) turned into traditional alcoholism.

It only gets worse! Good for you for putting an end to it now before it gets any worse.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks and welcome. I too quit as a weekend binge drinker. I thought since I didn't drink everyday I couldn't be an alcoholic. When I did drink I could control it at times but that was fools gold. Usually it led to over doing it and all that comes with that- horrendous hangovers, blackouts, embarrassment.
I have been sober for almost three years now and I no longer have those problems. It's much easier to live this way.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

whatever bought you hear, I think you made a good call

welcome aboard October 20

D
Old 10-23-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome.

The drunk texts, embarrassing stories and all that are cute and fun when your friends are around to joke about it, and tell you it'll be okay.

But waking up in the emergency room with no one around, I think that's when it really hit -- in the end, you're alone in recovery.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You don't have to be alone in recovery. There are many ways/groups to get sober. I started out as a social drinker (or so I thought) and then had many nights of binge drinking. Never ended up in the hospital, but always woke up with that incomprehensible demoralization. Guilt, remorse, self-pity, etc. There were so many occasions when I SWORE I wasn't going to drink, and ended up blacking out. The next day would find me calling people to find out what I did, what happened, etc. You are not alone.....
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whoops, maybe that came out wrong -- alone, in that, only I can ultimately decide that it's time to fix the problem.

But definitely not alone in that there will be plenty of awesome people around for support.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome October20, there is lots of support here. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is true....getting sober has to be your decision...no one else's. Glad you are here
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

this is me to a tee

It started during college when I busted my tail during the week, but Friday and/or Saturday night, I went as hard as someone can go. I was a great student, went on to get a great job, etc. No one has any idea that I have this problem.

I'm in my late-20s now, and don't go out all that often anymore after moving to a new town. I'm able to have a casual beer with dinner, and I have gone out on a work night exactly one time in my professional life.

But of the 6 or 7 times I've gone 'out' drinking with friends over the past five months on weekends, four of them have ended in complete blackout, hate-the-world hangovers.

The last one happened on Sunday, October 20, when I spent 3 hours in the emergency room after I was separated from my group, and passed out on the patio of a bar. At 2:30 a.m., the bar staff checked on me and said that I seemed well enough to get a cab when I felt up to it.

When they locked up the bar at 4 a.m., they said that I had vomited on myself and they were forced to call for EMS. They didn't feel comfortable calling a cab, though I was somewhat responsive.

A Sunday morning hangover doesn't have the impact of waking up in a hospital. It might not have been my worst binge, but I'm committed to it being the last.

Looking forward to talking with you all, and getting through this.
I have the same problem we could be alot worse off i blackout everytime i drink now which is not often,i'm also quite thin and usually don't eat when i've drank so no wonder but it's took me 6yrs to finally realise actually i should'nt drink at all. I have since been told i was throwing glasses all round the bar but i can't remember a thing of that. Not good. Good Luck and well done for making a commitment to stop ;-)
Old 10-23-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whoops, maybe that came out wrong -- alone, in that, only I can ultimately decide that it's time to fix the problem.

But definitely not alone in that there will be plenty of awesome people around for support.
haha
I only laughed as I got what you meant the first time when it didn't come out quite right.

Yep, you are the one to make this happen when you want to and/or need to.

Nope - you are never going to be alone in recovery as long as you can talk, write, speak.

Hope to see you around here and glad you managed to come here without permanent damage. Scary stuff.

Cheerzzz!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

One week. It's a start.

I'm guessing this is where it gets harder, but I didn't even have the smallest desire to drink. Instead, I drank entirely too much coffee yesterday and ate like an idiot.

But it sure beats the heck out of wondering what you did last night...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Realising my life

It's a great start, October Stick with it, it is soooo worth it