Notices

After 7 yrs sober, 5 yrs a drunk

Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! I hope that this forum can give you the support that you need to get sober again. You did it before and I have no doubts that you can do this again.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Well roll on the weekend. Get yourself an armfull of books DVD's the drink of choice, I found expensive apple juice almost as costly as drink but it worked and I think I needed the sugar. Nowadays it's tonic water!
I found going to bed early to read so I dropped of to sleep eventually , I never slept well so it was in many ways easier and more restful, although dropping of just as the alarm goes is never happy!
Get some days in and keep on here, it's an amazing help.
John.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyones feedback really has given me a insight.

One last question, what do you think the chances are of me developing a poor liver from 2 years of drinking 30-50cl of vodka mixed with soda once a week?

Either way i have decided im just going to stop. The last time i had a drink was last friday (6 days ago) my plan was to have a drink tomorrow but im giving the bottle away to a friend and am just going to stop. Don't want to develop any serious problems

Going to get back to my workout diet and hit the gym 3 times a week.

Im actually angry now what ive been putting my body through and thought it was normal to drink that amount
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wanttoreturn View Post
At the same time, I think the community of AA is really what keeps people sober and I don't want to miss out on that.
This may be true in your experience. But it also may be true that relying on the community of the AA fellowship instead of on the 12 Step program of recovery is leaving you short-changed on permanent, solid sobriety.

I've been an active AA member for many years, and I've seen many hundreds (if not thousands) of people come and go that relied on the 'sober support group' aspect of AA. Lasting, solid sobriety came when I set aside my judgements and preconceptions and disagreements with AA (and coming in as a staunch atheist, my disagreements ran deep), and just did the 12 Steps as they were outlined in the BB. It's that, 'rarely have we seen a person fail' part. But that part required thoroughly following the path laid out in that book.