Notices

scared to go to AA

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

scared to go to AA

I never been to AA before but I want to go to AA but its a 30 minute drive and im scared to go and scared there will be homeless people or dirty people there and i will catch something im a bit of a germ o phobe because i get sick easy. i also dont want to drive 30 minutes then be dissopointed and drive 30 minutes back home and be mad.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

if you want to be sober you will go to any length.
I drive 45 minutes to get to my meetings Monday Wednesday and Sunday.
Its what I have to do.

And I am not homeless or dirty.
I have a dirty mind sometimes but thats a differrent story.

You really need to go and see that the meetings are made up of all works of life, races and money brackets.

Alcohol has no favorites. He attacks everyone.

You will mosy likely find it to be the most welcoming place you have ever set foot in. I know i did. And i was terrirfed to walk thru that door too.

but once i did, two great people in the door shook my hand and made an impression that has changed my life
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
if you want to be sober you will go to any length.
Amen.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Then unknown is scary, but you won't know what it's like until you go. I suggest give it go, at least a couple meeting, before you discard it without even trying.
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just give it a shot. I doubt you'll be disappointed. Most meetings are very friendly and welcoming. Go to a few til you find one you really like. And don't worry about who else is there. Everyone is there for the same reason.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Bet ya a nickel that you will be glad you went.

Actually there will be a lot of healthy people there....in more ways than one. People from ALL walks of life.

Almost everyone feels like you before their first meeting. If you get a chance tell people it's your first meeting.

Come back and tell us how it went ........along with that nickel you'll owe me.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery!

I have to drive 25 minutes to meetings, and let me assure you it is well worth it. I live in a very rural area, and there is basically only one AA group here (it is the same people even if you go to an NA meeting). But if you live near Rochester, there should be ample choice of meetings so that you can find one where you feel comfortable. If you don't feel comfortable at a meeting, then don't stay. You may want to look for more of a suburban meeting rather than something inner-city.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a half an hour to a meeting isnt much

How far would you have driven to get another bottle of booze.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The meeting list for Monroe County, NY, is twelve pages long!

http://www.rochester-ny-aa.org/pdf_f...eting_List.pdf
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommy22 View Post
I never been to AA before but I want to go to AA but its a 30 minute drive and im scared to go and scared there will be homeless people or dirty people there and i will catch something im a bit of a germ o phobe because i get sick easy. i also dont want to drive 30 minutes then be dissopointed and drive 30 minutes back home and be mad.
You won't like it but drinking alcoholics are very sick people to start with. Until they get honest about their drinking they are bound to fail. Is there any reason that you think alcohol is a health beverage? If your an alcoholic you have a disease that is easily controlled by NOT drinking it. BE WELL
Old 10-16-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tommy,

It helped me to get someone to go with me to the meetings I was anxious about in the beginning. Look for "open" meetings if you have a buddy who'll go along with you who isn't alcoholic. Otherwise, you might call the hotline and ask if there's someone who could meet you - that could help, too. Just a friendly face, and not be alone.

I, too, have a drive to get to meetings. About 45 minutes one way for me as I live 'in the boonies'. But like Whiskeyman mentioned, I thought nothing of the drive when it was for alcohol and/or drugs.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommy22 View Post
im sure you were around worse people than homeless and dirty more than once while you were drinkin.
30 minutes of drivin, disappointed, drive30 minutes home and be mad.....something doesn't make sense to me. you haven't ever been mad for 60 mintues with a bottle in yer hand?

its your choice. hope ya quit screwin around and go.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...yesterday.html

Check this out too, maybe.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No half measures

I personally know three doctors four nurses two school teachers two computer programmer a Harvard graduate three or four other people that make well into the six figures along with carpenters auto mechanics multiple retirees and college students. Watch out for the doctors and nurses because they come in contact with all sorts of nasty germs.

There are a million reasons not to go to AA and in my opinion none of them are good. AA saved my life when all other resources failed
Old 10-16-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

scared there will be homeless people or dirty people there
Most likely not. More like Housewives, Real Estate Agents, Factory Workers, Retirees, Waitresses and Cooks, maybe a Lawyer or a Nurse, and so on.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Tommy.

I agree - it won't be what you think. It could be a huge help to you - I hope you won't deny yourself this chance. Give it a shot and let us know how it went.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree 100% with Leadfoot. Most alcoholics I know are high achievers and control freaks. It's only when we drink we get sloppy. High-end drunk are we? Of course if you do not quit drinking - you may end up homeless and dirty - there are always the "yets" that have not happened to you.

Unless its in a bad neighborhood - I think this is a bit judgmental and extreme of a phobia? They always have AA meetings online - but for me the spirit of the meeting is best felt in person.

You can always call the 1-800 number and ask for a temp sponsor to help you find and go with you to a meeting. Or just call to ask questions!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've met a few homeless and formerly homeless people at the one meeting I go to in the city. Know what? Most of them were intelligent, engaging people that I'm glad I got to know. The one guy, who's sober over a year and living back home now, tells the funniest stories about his "urban camping" adventures. Open-mindedness is a very important quality to acquire in sobriety.