Notices

What A Weekend!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What A Weekend!

Today at 5:30pm was my 7th full day of sobriety.

This weekend was amazing completely sober as a functional father and husband.

Went to daughter's high school football game (Friday night) and worked the concession stand with my wife and younger daughter vs. being home passed out by 9pm, home alone. Note- No she doesn't play football, was referring to the HS she attends.

Watched the Red Sox game on Saturday night at home with both daughters, while my wife was able to go to visit her sister overnight and run a road race the next morning vs. getting drunk Saturday morning or afternoon forcing my wife to cancel her plans. Or, I would have found a way before getting drunk on Saturday to help my daughters find friends houses to sleep over. As we all know, you become a master at setting the table and making sure you get your drink on.

Spent the day on Sunday driving my awesome daughters to their practices and activities vs. arranging everything around getting drunk. As a bonus, I was able to stay up and watch my Red Sox beat Detroit in one of the great postseason comebacks of all time. The comeback and game ended around midnight. I would have been long gone by this point.

As you can see, I didn't climb any mountains or achieve any great accomplishments. What I did do was live my life for a weekend with the people I love, because I wasn't drunk!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Concrats Basketball.

Hope there will be many - week-ends that is.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this positive post! You rock!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's wonderful! Thanks for sharing how just doing "little" things can make you feel fulfilled and joyful and for drawing such a stark contrast between what it would have been like if you were drinking.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's a great post and reading it makes me wonder why did we bother with beer at all . I hope you continue to enjoy the sober life, I think your family will!! All the best and keep posting
Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

fantastic post basketball. Love the positivity. Enjoy and keep carrying on.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is great to hear. I hope to have a similar success story after this coming weekend.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi basketball, welcome. You came to a great place of support. Sobriety gets better. The sobriety you have now is not as sweet as the sobriety you will have to come. Keep going friend. grouphug.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome post Basketball! I am also a father and newly sober and appreciate all of your words. This past weekend for me was similar and you summed it up great about "I didn't climb any mountains or achieve any great accomplishments.What I did do was live my life for a weekend with the people I love, because I wasn't drunk!"
I also thoroughly enjoyed the ball games this weekend.