Notices

AA disaster... Gawww!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Originally Posted by Jackie38 View Post
..One of the speakers said "booze ain't my problem". And I think he was right. My self doubt is my problem. Wine is just an unnecessary mask I put on to hide that self doubt...
Jackie IMHO just be careful with this train of thought as I think it leaves the door open for us to decide that we solved the 'real' problem and decide we can somehow now handle the drinking better.

Glad you are feeling a little better.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The crying is healing and so common. Good on you darlin, I can't wait for my 30 day chip on 21st October.
Go back, AA's don't even flinch at crying. X
Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I bawled like a baby at my first meeting.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

That made me cry just reading about you crying. And probably for the same reason. Because it was inspiring and insightful.

After years of not feeling human, I embrace those moments.

Congratulations on day 4 Jackie!!! You can do it!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Jackie38;4236101 When it came time to hand out the chips, I started crying and couldn't stop. What an embarrassment. I wish I had looked up what to expect before I went in there. I'm sure I made an ass of myself.... [/QUOTE]

Why not cry? You have suffered so much and others have too. Is it not in a way like coming home? Coming to a place which is safe for you, where there are people who have been through what you have been through and who can help one another and be with you? It's the beginning of a long wonderful road to sobriety for you and most people would cry because that means that happiness is possible. You will find that your new friends are not perfect because no one is but they mean well. You may not agree with everything they say. But that's O.K. The only requirement for "membership" is the desire to stop drinking. You can go to several different groups and go where you feel the most comfortable. Good luck. Every good wish to you.

W.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's normal to find the chip ceremony, actually all of it, enormously emotional! You're being accepted, offered help, kindness. It's like being handed a promise of help and encouragement!

If I left every meeting I ever cried at I'd be at a new meeting every other week, probably more often. Seeing new alcoholics and helping them is what gives those with some time a reason to keep soldiering on. I'm glad you were so moved. It will make your sober journey so much easier!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No half measures

There been more meltdowns in AA then there have been sticks of butter in the microwave. Our emotions have been numbed for so long that they come flooding back especially at meetings. I can almost guarantee the only person that thought it was weird was you. Tears are good things it means you're starting to feel again and starting on your path to sobriety.

Keep coming back and shed as many tears as you need to.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Other than bringing alcohol in...just about anything is OK at an AA meeting. Keep going and try different meetings. I have seen many women and men break down at meetings.

Since I've been sober I have not had one real cry and I feel like something is wrong with me...UGH...I remember how cleansing it can be.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Crying isn't a big deal in a meeting Jackie. I've seen many people shed tears, it's really not a big deal. Believe me, you did not embarrass yourself.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I have cried many times at AA meeting. Do not be embarrassed, letting your emotions out is part of recovery
Old 10-13-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Aww, I'm also crying just reading this thread. You didn't embarrass yourself, Jackie. Congratulations on 4 days and keep coming back.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Crying isn't a big deal in a meeting Jackie. I've seen many people shed tears, it's really not a big deal. Believe me, you did not embarrass yourself.
I would have similar thoughts as Jackie if it would happen to me, whether I should leave the country.

Of course it is silly, it is fully acceptable to cry. I find it very natural for other people to cry.

I do personally not cry in general and I would certainly not cry in front of a group of strangers.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I just did a quick count. I've been to 1563 meetings. There's been a box of tissues at each and every one of them.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Takes a lot of guts to walk into that room for the first time and accept a 24hr chip. Keep coming back, I promise you it gets better.

(3 month chip is on the table right next to me)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Lots of people have cried at AA meetings and lots more will. The only thing that matters is that you keep coming back.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I hid my feelings by stuffing them down wine bottles. I'm just another alcoholic woman, and I get all teary eyed at meetings too many times for me to remember. I read everybody's posted share to you, the love & support you received here at SR, I find it to be right there in my AA Meetings. You will too! As others told me, "Welcome Home". Bobbi
Old 10-14-2013, 04:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I've seen loads of people in tears at meetings, both men and women-sure makes me mist up!

Me? I just all-out cry in random places, like on the bus or at train stations......:P
Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberhawk View Post
I do personally not cry in general and I would certainly not cry in front of a group of strangers.
I'm not much of crier myself, but I've seen all types of people shed tears in meetings, from young mothers, to big, hairy biker types.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am a crier but I hid it for years. My family always called me a cry baby so if I did cry, I did it alone. Now anger, you bet ya. When I was upset you and everyone else in the house knew about it!

I was afraid. I was afraid to be in AA. I was afraid of the people. I was afraid of what was expected of me and could I live up. I was afraid to be sober.

That chip let me know I was heading in the right direction. I was a mess and I cried and still cry.

It is okay to cry. It is cleansing. Get it out.

Keep coming back.