Notices

Calling in sick to work

Old 10-12-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Drunkandalone View Post
Ive been legitatemly sick with pnemonia and allerges that have been compromised by the alcohol abuse and have documentation to prove it by an MD.
About a hundred years ago, I was three years into a teaching job after graduating from college. I was drinking as much as I could whenever I had free time, and teachers have a lot of free time. At least I did. My wife had left me the previous year due to my drinking and my alcoholic behavior.

Anyway, I went on an extended bender for about ten days that November, during which I called in sick for an entire week. Monday was a given, and then calling in on Tuesday didn't seem too bad after surviving Monday. On Wednesday, I finally surrendered to the idea that I was not going to be at work for the entire week. So when I called in, I told them I had walking pneumonia, something I'd been susceptible to during my life to that point.

Sure enough, just a couple of weeks after I returned to work, I actually did have walking pneumonia and had to force myself to go into work while I was ill. By November, I'd already burned most of my twelve sick days, and I just couldn't continue to stay home while I was binging. It was sheer torture.

They made life difficult for me at every opportunity, desperately wanting me to quit. Remaining within the rules by doing the absolute minimum that was required of me in my contract, I managed to hang on. Until they told me I'd need to go back to school to earn more credits in my field. I was in no condition to do this, something they knew very well, and I was forced to resign.

I learned later in life that it's generally much better to leave a job just before they fire you, than to hang on until you get the pink slip. I say "generally" because of considerations such as unemployment insurance, health insurance, and other factors that did not play into my decision to leave. I was already bartending a few days and nights each week when I left and, besides being the perfect job for an alcoholic like me, I also knew that I'd be able to make more money and with fewer hours than I was making as a teacher.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Drunkandalone, from your employer's POV you are not an ideal employee. FWIW, I would initiate rehab through HR, but if you think they're going to fire you, resign first.
I would also make a sincere apology to your supervisor regarding your work, if you feel he/she will be receptive, and you have successfully completed rehab.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Should I apply for FMLA and short term disability at the same time? Im about to initiate the rehab process thru HR.