Notices

Hello!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello!

Hello everyone!

I already posted in the substance abuse forum, so I guess I did this backwards. Oh well!

I have been on Vicodin for three years. My story is a very common one--I had a neck injury which required surgery. The nerve damage kept me in misery, so enter the Vicodin. Being in healthcare, I knew what a dangerous road I was going down, but the pain was so bad that I didn't care. Now I wish I had explored different options.

I rationalized that because I am in pain, it was perfectly fine to be on an opiate. After all, isn't that what they are for? Yeah, when I am taking them because I feel like I need them to function or when I am stressed or need a bit of energy, that excuse is moot. It had nothing to do with pain and everything to do with addiction.

My PCP and I have come up with a plan for a safe taper over the next 30 days and how to deal with withdrawal. That visit today was probably the scariest thing I have had to do--Scarier than the surgery! I did it, I was completely honest, and I feel good about the plan. I have also visited a pain management doctor who will treat the pain without narcotics.

I have it set up in such a way that when I am off completely, I will be on vacation. I am also setting up my support system. I am beyond ready to quit. I am tired of my life revolving around pills. I am tired of watching the clock to take my next pill or having to face the pharmacist when she knows why I am picking up my refill the first second I can. I am done.

Thank you everybody in advance for all of the support! Just coming here and reading the stories is inspiring to me and helps me know that recovery is possible. I have a lot of living left to do and I am ready to live my life and not just exist.