Notices

Day 3. Sleep, AA and saying no

Old 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3. Sleep, AA and saying no

So I am on day three now. My therapist, who I have only gone to for 2 weeks, told me to go to AA meetings every day to stay sober. I haven't gone to one yet however I do spend a good hour or so on this site every day so that helps a bit. I am however a binge drinker, going weeks without drinking then going missing for a whole weekend. I think I am going to go to meetings on Friday and Saturday nights in order to not feel lonely and bored. Once the week hits I am fine.
I just woke up from my third sober sleep in a row and I have to say that it is pretty great to not wake up feeling like ****. I don't drink every day but I did smoke pot every day to get to sleep and that has an effect on you. It turns out sleep is pretty important!
I went for my weekly beer with my father last night, except I had water and he had a beer. I told him that I wasn't going to drink at ( Canadian) Thanksgiving this week and he said he was proud of that decision. I feel good about the people I have said no to in the last 3 days. I thought they would react differently but they just say "ok". Something that has gotten in the way of my sobriety before has been " people pleasing" or thinking that I would offend someone by not drinking. I will post again at one week, but even after three days I can feel a difference in the way I am feeling . Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is great, Bryan. I think that the more people we tell, the more committed we become. Sounds like your dad is a keeper! Good idea to stay busy on weekend nights, too.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I worried about people not agreeing with my choice to abstain too. I guess that whole college-thought process ("Cmon man, ya gotta drink!") is still alive and well, even if it isn't rooted in reality.

In truth, I have found, like you, that people I say no to are proud and are totally cool with it. Good for you for keeping up your will power!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Nice work Bryan. And i'm glad you've realized that the worry that others might care that you aren't drinking is a flat out lie that merely exists in the alcoholic mind. Keep up the good fight!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That being said

That being said. I would murder some baby ducklings for a joint. Straight up. That is going to be the hard one to kick. I feel like my last post made it sound like everything is going great, it's not.