Notices

Lost

Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost

My name is Gerry and I'm finally trying to seek the help I need. I am an alcoholic who has become hopeless in life. I am 26 and I drink everyday, most of the time alone in my room watching tv. I have been drinking for about ten years but the last five years almost everyday. Three years ago I was nine days sober but relapsed and never have gone longer than three days since.

I have a good career and great family and friends but I continue to drink all the time. Something is missing and causing me to be like this. I try to go to the gym a few times a week but that's a far cry from going everyday like i used to. Now, when I'm at the gym I fly through a workout just so I can have a drink. I usually have my first on the car ride home. I can't do anything without alcohol anymore. Whenever I leave my house to meet people I have a few drinks beforehand just to feel comfortable. I do my best to hide how much I actually drink from my friends and family.

I am at work now making this post hoping today will be day one of sobriety for me. The hard part will begin the second I get out of work. I'm tired of feeling lost and would love to have my life back and make alcohol a thing of the past
Old 10-10-2013, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

to SR Gerry
Old 10-10-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Gerry - why don't you plan to do something after work? It can be as simple as a nice meal and a shower and a sleep or reading or go and visit someone if you can. Anything that stops you drinking. Read on here. Come chat with us. It's really hard and we all understand that but it's possible. The only one who can do this is you. Do you think you can decide that you won't drink? I think you can - you wouldn't be here if you didn't want to
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gerry, I'm only 24 hours ahead of you, and could have written your exact words just yesterday. It would be great if you wrote what I wrote here tomorrow! You can do it.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go to an AA meeting after work, (try to see the similarities instead of the differences when you go.) After the meeting go home, eat dinner, come on SR, go to bed and do it again tomorrow. Just try it.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gerry, you can do it! What you wrote described exactly how I was. I'm on my 7th day today and I haven't felt this good in 10 years or more. You have to want change more than you want the drink.

Make a plan on what you will do after work to fill the time you would normally spend drinking. Just like 13unluckyforsom wrote, eat a big meal, take a super long shower, curl up in the bed with a book or movie, take a walk, and spend time on SR. Keep reminding yourself how great you will feel waking up tomorrow sober.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gerry!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Gerry! I'd echo much of what others have written here -- and put an exclamation point on them. This crowd has been incredibly helpful to me -- even just knowing they're there -- as I've tried to change my life-habits. So, leave work and step into the safe space that is SR.

Fishy
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Drinking is a habit that's hard to break. You might want to google AVRT. It really works for me, I've been sober for one year now. Sometimes it's not even that something is missing from life, it's more like something has been forgotten. Ditch the booze and that something will often return.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gerry

you'll find a lot of support, and a few ideas here too

D