Notices

An Introduction

Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An Introduction

Hello all! I'm so glad I found this forum, it's extremely encouraging to read all the posts and know that I am not alone in my fight against this addiction.

A little about me: I've been drinking every night for the last 14 years, minus a few times when I quit for a day or two. I was in denial for many years until several years ago I finally realized I had a problem. I would try to quit but could not stop for long due to the crazy irrational thoughts that would convince me to drink. Over the last year I have developed debilitating anxiety and depression. I would wake up in the night in cold sweats with my mind racing a million beats per minute. I have finally decided to stop for good.

Today is day 5 and I feel great, it's also my 32nd birthday today. I'm going out to dinner with family and friends tonight which will be the first time I will be around alcohol and other people drinking since I've stopped. They don't know I quit, and frankly they don't know I've had a problem. I've hidden it quite well over the years.

Wish me luck tonight that I won't be tempted to drink. Well, I'm sure I will be tempted...but I won't give in!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Simka - welcome to SR
Old 10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good luck Simka and welcome. I also had really bad anxiety/panic issues in the last stages of my drinking, it does get better - you've made a great choice. I personally chose to come clean with my immediate family right off the bat when I quit so it was a little easier for me being around them ( several of whom are heavy drinkers ), but it's not 100 percent necessary of course. Stay strong tonight, and give yourself the best birthday present you can - a sober day!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR and Happy Birthday Simka

Plan it out a little tonight - how will you refuse drinks? how will you deal with persistence? or cravings?

Remember tonight you don't have to do anything you don't want to do

D
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Simka, yea for day 5! Alcohol is a depressant. The further you get away from it, the better. I also had anxiety. It was much worse with the alcohol and withdrawals. Try urge surfing to relax thru the cravings and anxiety. It made all the difference to me. Best wishes. Stick around.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I think tonight, as a birthday present to yourself, you should announce your newfound sobriety to your family and friends. I know, you think I'm crazy, but you''ll be killing two birds with one stone...coming clean and being honest about yourself to the people who care about you, and giving yourself the gift of added incentive in your quest for a new life. It's hard to drink when people are pulling for you to win. Welcome and Happy Birthday!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys! Since it's a school night for my son and he will be with me, we are just going to a nice restaurant. I'm hoping since it will be low-key that it won't be noticeable that I'm not drinking. But if it's point out, I plan on saying that I'm trying to get healthy and I've cut a few things out of my life. (I quit smoking about a month ago as well).

I plan on telling my friends and family eventually, but I'm just not ready at this point. I don't think their reactions will necessarily benefit me at this early stage of recovery. I'm trying to eliminate any triggers that will cause me to stumble.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I will post an update after dinner tonight.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simka View Post
Thanks you guys! Since it's a school night for my son and he will be with me, we are just going to a nice restaurant. I'm hoping since it will be low-key that it won't be noticeable that I'm not drinking. But if it's point out, I plan on saying that I'm trying to get healthy and I've cut a few things out of my life. (I quit smoking about a month ago as well).

I plan on telling my friends and family eventually, but I'm just not ready at this point. I don't think their reactions will necessarily benefit me at this early stage of recovery. I'm trying to eliminate any triggers that will cause me to stumble.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I will post an update after dinner tonight.
Simka,
congratulatons on your decision and follow-through; day five!!
i was a solitary drinker, so when it was time to tell a couple of people in my family that i quit drinking, i first had to tell them that i was an alcoholic. and yes, i waited a while to do that.
you know your family ad their likely reactions, so ...i knew it would ultimately be a positive thing, the telling, and so it was, but i'm sure aware not all entire families are simply supportive.
take care, keep going.
happy birthday!
Old 10-08-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AlmA

Hi Sinka,

I have the same problem nobody knows... and they keep going on have one.
So be ready for when they start...

I always take the car, perfect excuse...
I drive.

I got a horrible headache!

I am on antibiotics!

I got stomach problems...

I got to get up early tomorrow...

I ever got coca-cola and said it had Whisky,
or alcohol free beer and in the glass nobody knows...

You will be confronted many times, but with time you get used to say no,
and finally people realize you do not drink and stop bothering you.

Glad you found the site...

YOU ARE NOT ALONE
AND YOU WILL NEVER REGRET
THERE IS SO MUCH MORE IN LIFE
DO NOT MISS IT

Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AlmA

Sorry about the sizeeee

It was not meant to come out that size

Sorry
Old 10-08-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Simka! Have fun tonight and enjoy going to bed sober, knowing that tomorrow is day 6!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you Simka. I love your positive post - I'm sure it'll help you to be here as you begin your sober life.

It does feel strange when we first let go of it - but we don't need it to enjoy ourselves. It took me a while to stop feeling like I was missing out on something. That's just a lie I told myself for too many years. Unlike you, I continued into my 50's playing with it - long after I knew I was becoming too dependent. I'm happy you're seeing what it's doing to you at only 32. You're doing great - be proud.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dinner went great and I wasn't even tempted to drink. Only one friend asked me if I would like a glass of wine, which of course I replied no. He asked me if I was sure a couple of times, and after I kept saying no thank you, he left it alone. No one else mentioned it.

I'm so excited to be going to bed sober for another night!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Simka
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simka View Post
Dinner went great and I wasn't even tempted to drink. Only one friend asked me if I would like a glass of wine, which of course I replied no. He asked me if I was sure a couple of times, and after I kept saying no thank you, he left it alone. No one else mentioned it.

I'm so excited to be going to bed sober for another night!
What a wonderful present to give yourself!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Way to go!!