Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

How do I get myself of wanting to get to the point of wanting to quit entirely??

Notices

How do I get myself of wanting to get to the point of wanting to quit entirely??

Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dear SR friends.

You are literally an answer to prayers. I thought this thread was dead. I woke up this morning signed onto the October SR list and I impulsively called my husband who was on his way to work and I told him that I have made my mind up to quit drinking alcohol. Then I told my mother and sister the same thing. I panicked after I had done this, thinking, "OMG, is this just a drama queen moment? What have I done?" But when I saw all of the responses to what I thought was a "dead thread", I knew it was my HP reaching out to me through you all. Thanks!!! Here is what I posted about my day in the October thread:

Okay, so I got through some hurdles already. I am extremely nervous, but off to a good start. I told three people who I am very close to that I am giving sobriety a try and I posted here, all to keep me accountable. All three were very supportive and one is what I believe to be an alcoholic, so their support really pleasantly surprised me. These people are the people I have drank the most with/around throughout the years. My spouse is among those people. He is not an alcoholic (he drinks a few beers during the weekend). He was extremely loving and supportive but commented that I am too hard on myself. I know he means well, but I wish he wouldn't do that. I wish he was a spouse that would ask me to stop, or get angry at me when I overdo it with drinking, but that's just not his way.

I went to lunch with a college friend today. (long party history with her, although I do not consider her an alcoholic at all. I have seen her drunk once in the 25 years that I have known her - wish she could say the same about me) I chose not to say anything about my decision to her. When the waitress took our orders, I ordered tea and she ordered Coke, so I was relieved it wasn't even a topic that came up, because there have been plenty of lunches together that we had wine.

So, I am a believer in God/Universe/Loving Energy/HP _ whatever you want to call it/Him/Her and I prayed hard about all of this and it is falling into place. So thank you, God and thank you, SR friends and fellow recoverers!!!