Notices

The past three nights

Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The past three nights

Tell me it gets easier! I've not had cravings really, just more of a realization that my life doesn't include alcohol anymore and it's making me a bit blue. I kind of want a drink but I know I'm strong enough not to, but I'm still down about it. Does it get better? Day 16 here
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Think of it as a breakup from a bad love affair 83....you'll feel down for a little while but you'll get over it, and go on to some awesome new things

D
Old 09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Think of it as a breakup from a bad love affair 83....you'll feel down for a little while but you'll get over it, and go on to some awesome new things

D
Yeah, rip it's clothes to shreds and throw them in the bin
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Yeah it definately gets better. Great on 16!

You are obviopusly past the physical 'part', from here its a mindgame. But a game you can win.

You said realising alcohol not being in your life makes you blue(albeit a 'bit'), you don't really mean then that drinking again will make you happy, right?

I describe any thoughts that put a positive spin on drinking as coming from the AV, or Beast or It. I seek those thoughts out , bring them front and center to showcase how ridiculous they are. How in the hell could drinking , for me be at all a positve?! I isolate those positive or pleasant thoughts and feelings about drinking and see them as It trying to win the mind game, and to beat It , you just have to look at what It is trying to tell you , trying to trick into agreeing that some drinking is a good thing. Line up those thoughts and feelings and tell them to go to hell. The more you do this , the weaker those feelings become, It will know you mean business and can see through its stupid dumbass logic.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If been lucky that I have not had cravings yet, but I think it's because I've been keeping myself extremely busy. I've been reading a lot of recovery books, and they help SO much.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am at day 40 and it definitely gets easier
Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What I try to do is pretend alcohol was never invented. How would you behave.

15 days sober:
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes. Otherwise we'd all still be dead drunk or just dead. Sorry that was kinda morbid.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think it slowly gets better regarding the cravings. They seem to have lessened for me.

I am not sure if this would help you but I think of quitting drinking the same way I think about quitting smoking. When I quit smoking, I never had the thought "one day I will smoke again". Nope, when I quit the smokes, it was for good. That's the same way I approach drinking. Hopefully, it will work !
Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
I think it slowly gets better regarding the cravings. They seem to have lessened for me.

I am not sure if this would help you but I think of quitting drinking the same way I think about quitting smoking. When I quit smoking, I never had the thought "one day I will smoke again". Nope, when I quit the smokes, it was for good. That's the same way I approach drinking. Hopefully, it will work !
This is what threw me for ages over 'am I addicted to alcohol', because there is no way (that I can imagine right now), that I could give up smoking tobacco. If it was a choice between drinking and smoking, in the past I mean, the smokes would always win.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope it gets easier. I am on day 3. I seem to be getting very anxious at times. Maybe cravings? Mostly when I get outta work. I noticed putting some headphones on and going for a walk helps. Also notice my minds playing tricks on me.thinking im hearing stuff or seeing stuff? Idk whats up with that. But other than that i feel good.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

I guess I do pretend alcohol was never invented , I don't drink it

We probably put a decent dent in the market, too , the guys at Bass and Makers are probably looking around wondering why sales seems to have dropped a little recently

Actually , tonight at my local deli/package store they commented on my buying habits of late. Asked why no beer , I just said "Nope, not anymore", he smiled nicely and knowingly, but I think I heard him think "Damn"
Old 09-30-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kizzer49 View Post
I hope it gets easier. I am on day 3. I seem to be getting very anxious at times. Maybe cravings? Mostly when I get outta work. I noticed putting some headphones on and going for a walk helps. Also notice my minds playing tricks on me.thinking im hearing stuff or seeing stuff? Idk whats up with that. But other than that i feel good.
Hang in there - it gets better after day 3 and LOADS better after day 5
Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes first three days can get creepy..anxiety,weird noises,etc. it will fade. Your not nuts its normal for your brain to freak out withdrawing from the juice. Just remember this when your thinking of drinking again...its stinks to have to start over.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My thinking has definitely changed in the past 45 days. I don't miss it and have accepted that it's out of my life for good. I had a slip up but it was only 2 drinks... Not enough to really matter a whole lot and realized that I am done for good. Still doing good now!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are getting loads of good advice here. My penny worth would be this, don't romanticise your approach to alcohol. By that I mean. Not every drinking session is a great time in front of an open fire enjoying fine wine with a group of your best friends ( you can throw in some snow if you like ).
It will get easier and the better you understand where your urges are coming from the easier it will be to ignore them. I would also suggest you check out AVRT just google it . I am sure it will help.

Finally give sobriety a chance to work. You have to be patient and trust everyone here when they say you will not regret it. All the best
Old 10-31-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

D
Wow Dee!!!!! I don't think you could have nailed it any better!

The early cravings are the loneliness of not being able to call the absent person and wanting to, even though how bad you know doing that would be!

Then the acceptance of the absence of that person, still a little discomfort when you think of them but less painful.

Finally, moving on to newer and better things and thinking "what the heck did I see in that anyway?"

I'm amazed, it really is so much the same!