Notices

The missing 'Fizz'

Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by SkyeSea View Post
Yeah, I guess it would be Orange soda? Isn't it funny how we all call things differently I remember reading a UK/USA English dictionary - was hilarious in parts and a real joy to read.
That's one of my favorite things to do, to look at differences in how we refer to things.

Here in the states soda is also referred to differently based on what part of the country that you're from. I remember staying with my Aunt when I was young and I asked her if I could have a soda. She lives only two states away. She says "Do you mean pop?" First time I had ever heard that. Also, we have a sandwich where I'm from that's referred to as an "Italian". In my younger days I traveled to New York City and we were going out for lunch. We found a sandwich shop and I went up to the counter and ordered an Italian. The guy looked at me like I had two heads and in a very strange manner. I explained what I was referring to and in a thick Italian accent he laughed and said "Oh, you mean a sub!". I laugh when I think back to that day. I was in New York City ordering an Italian. The creative far fetched person in me wonders if ordering an Italian is code for "Ya, I'm here to see da boss" (referring to the Mafia)

Back to the OP, if something out there can help to combat the urge and it's non alcoholic then I think that's great. There's caution here on being careful about doing that where it could possibly end up being a trigger (non alcoholic beer, etc). However, if I'm being honest I did something at the beginning (within the first 60 days) that I was cautioned against. I was with a group at work after a scavenger hunt. We were brought to a late lunch and everyone at that table had an alcoholic drink. That was rough for me. I knew I didn't want to drink but I so wanted to be a part of the group. I ordered a virgin Margarita with salt. The waitress says to me "You do realize that's just Margarita mix with lime juice right?" I told her that was the point. When she brought the drink it was actually really good, it was like drinking a tart limeaid and my urge then also dissipated. I felt like I was part of the group again and it did what I needed it to do. This would not work for everyone. I needed it not for the alcohol but because I felt like I didn't belong. Not the best reason to do something but hey, it kept me sober and that's all that I care about.

You have to do what works for you and if you're trying to use a replacement the important thing is that you must be honest with yourself when you do. Let's face it, you can't kid yourself, you might think you can but you can't. The replacement should satisfy you and not leave you with the feeling of "wanting more" which is exactly what we used to do that led us here in the first place.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've got visions of you sitting at a table hungry and the mafia surrounding the table saying ' you called' ??
Yep, 'pop' is a word we use here too - or at least my Irish Mum and Scottish Dad do, not sure about the English and welsh
Old 09-26-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Al Pacino/Michael Corleone drooool

grief think I am drunk on sparkly water today ....

think they call it pop in North East UK not really where I live, unless its just me that doesn't... seriously its all good, lots of water, fresh juice too (you can mix that with sparkly water that's yum) long as its aint alcohol and it gets us thro its all good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mc.jpg (18.0 KB, 15 views)