Notices

Newbie saying hello

Old 09-24-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Newbie saying hello

HI everyone,
I am new to the site and just wanted to stop in and introduce myself. I am the mother of a recovering drug addict, pills and methadone were his drugs of choice. He has been in recovery now for over 60 days. He went to rehab in California on July 19th. He stayed the 30 days then went to sober living for 30 days. He just returned home this past Wednesday. It has been a tough adjustment for both my husband and I and my son. He wants to go as he pleases and at 29 he should but his father and I worry every time he leaves and he doesn't feel he owes us an explanation. Maybe he doesn't. He is looking for a job but in the meantime he goes to therapy twice a week and is attending his first NA meeting since coming home on Thursday. I know he is bored and will need to find other things to keep him busy till he gets a job.He was living with a girlfriend before he left for rehab but he broke up with her and now with no money is living with us till he gets a job. He has a friend who will be helping him get a job (hopefully soon) with his company. Of course I am scared for him and his sobriety yet I know it is not in my control. I read Codependent NO More for the second time because that is what I have been. So hard being a parent. We are supportive but not enabling. I applaud all of you who have come here to get help and stay sober. You are all so much stronger than you think!
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you recognize that your son needs to seek help for himself.

You will find lots of support here, and you might check out the Friends & Families forum on this board.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I hope for the best for you and your family.