Notices

Feeling good

Old 09-23-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Feeling good

I've given up drinking too many times to count, yet for some reason I think its is the time it's going to stick. Sober for a week and feeling so good and strong. Been here before and failed, tho.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can decide that this time it will stick. You never ever have to drink again if you don't want to.

Try this, one day at a time: no matter what happens, no matter how your feel, don't drink or get high. If you get a craving, just sit down and don't move until it is gone, no matter how long it takes, no matter where you are. Call a sober friend to come and get you and take you somewhere safe if you want. But don't pick up a drink. If you don't drink, you can't get drunk!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Congrats on the first week!

So what do you think you're going to do differently this time to "make it stick?"
Old 09-23-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Concgrats on the first week!

Good to feel that way - it will stick.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thats great bean, keep fighting x.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good going on your first week! Keep it up!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeanWee View Post
I've given up drinking too many times to count, yet for some reason I think its is the time it's going to stick. Sober for a week and feeling so good and strong. Been here before and failed, tho.
Hi BeanWee! Welcome!! I too tried to stop many times in the past. I too feel this time it is going to stick. All those relapses over the years has taught me a thing or two... I am over a month now... first time since I have been 15 yo!! Wow!!!

Welcome to SR!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on one week! From my experience, a lot of my relapses came when I was too confident with my sobriety. I thought I had it in the bag, and with that false confidence, I dropped my guard. I'm not saying that all alcoholics/addicts need to constantly worry every second, but there are things that can be done to minimize relapses. One example that I still have a hard time with is going to certain places or functions that have alcohol or drugs. You've heard the saying "If you hang out at a barber shop long enough, you're bound to get a haircut." Even after being sober for 2-3 weeks, I would already test my limits by going to bars/functions with my friends. I like to control what I can and cannot do, and so when people say don't go to bars, i'm naturally going to go the other way. I never plan on drinking, but when I get there, I try to hold out. Sometimes I succeed, but all it takes is one slip, and i'm on my binge again.

I'm beginning to realize that I'm not comfortable in my own skin, which is why I use or drink to self-medicate that fear. Going into a bar, where my social anxiety is at it's highest, is overall not a great environment for someone who isn't comfortable in their own skin. Anyways, I'm not trying to lecture you or anything, but these were the mistakes I made. Stay vigilante.