Notices

Roommates drinking!! Greer!

Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Roommates drinking!! Greer!

I've got 5 months September 16th... I was pretty bad drinking everyday, but this last 5 months have been a amazing change in ME. The problem I'm having is I live with my boyfriend and another couple who drink. My boyfriend does make any effort to hide his beer in a cooler (I don't mind him having some beer, liquid was my drink... plus he's not the one with the drinking problem.) lately the other couple have been drinking a lot more and having NO consideration for me at all. Wine bottles on the counter, wine glasses in the sink, there's always beer in the fridge now!
I feel like I can't say anything to them and it's really getting to me. I do not deal with drunk people very well anymore now that I'm sober. I've noticed a bitchy attitude toward them we they get tipsy and act stupid... Am I just being a grump?

What should I do?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your five months sober! If they're part of the household too it may be hard to get them to change their behavior. Have you talked to them about it?

Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No I haven't. I almost feel like I have no right. They moved into our house about a year ago when I was partying. So i don't know how'd they'd take it if I talked to them..
Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Try to bring it up in a non threatening way. Explain how hard it is on you and ask them to limit their consumption to keeping it away from you.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you have to speak up for yourself, it does not sound like a healthy arrangement for you with all of your 5 months of success! I can only imagine how challenging that is for you, my home is a dry home.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i do not deal with myself well when drunk
never mind other people
Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
You are not being a grump. You are trying to protect your sobriety.

It's said that I have seen so many people fail because of their living situations where roommates continue to use and drink.

You should try talking to them, but if they don't get the message, it might be best to start thinking about an exit plan.

Like ImperfectlyMe said, my house is a dry house. That also means no alcoholic mouthwash, cooking wine, alcoholic aftershave, rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer. Why risk all that we've worked for?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by zombiebre View Post
They moved into our house about a year ago when I was partying. So i don't know how'd they'd take it if I talked to them..
There is no reason for you to feel that you cant talk to them about this. While it may be difficult to find the words to explain your concerns to them, it is YOUR HOUSE after all. You have made the most important decision of your life and the the biggest challenge is your continued sobriety. Please do whatever it takes to ensure your continued success.

Congratulations on 5 months!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would have a hard time with that. I Keep nothing alcoholic in my house. In my mind it should start with your bf - if he drinks there how can you ask them not to? If he keeps it away from you and off the counters and out of the fridge, then he could mention to them what needs doing. Not sure whose place it is, rental, owned, etc but if it is your house you can just tell them the situation and ask them to abide by it or find another place to live. If you're all just renting equally, well you can always move out.

I prefer living by myself and this is one reason why. Cheers.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My ex drank in front of me and I ended up moving back in with my parents at 30. We ended up breaking up but that's a whole other story. I celebrated 5 months on September 15th and could not imagine being around alcohol as much as you say you have been. I chose me and my sobriety over everyone and everything and its been the best decision of my life. If you were allergic to peanut and they left peanut products all over the house, could you talk to them? It's the same with alcohol, we have an allergy to it and need to do what's best for us to keep that allergy under control.