Notices

5 days up and down and up and down. Emotional yoyo

Old 09-22-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days up and down and up and down. Emotional yoyo

So apparently this is normal? One minute I'm crying the next I'm laughing (sometimes while crying). I love my boyfriend the next minute I think he's the devil. Then I think he hates me . I'm wound up and all over the place. I feel like a hormonal 17 year old and a crazy person. Please tell me I'm not losing it. But I am really stoked on my 5 days .
Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery is an emotional roller coaster for sure. With more sober time it will smooth out. Yes, it's normal. But it will pass.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will level out I promise - way to go on 5 days

D
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on day 28 and as Dee can attest I have been on the emotional roller coaster of late. Its good though, as I feel like I am growing and learning more about myself than I did in two decades.

Keep in mind that the alcohol numbed your feelings. For me that was a better part of 20yrs. Never cried once during that period. Last night I sobbed like a baby - but it felt great afterwards. So with the booze removed for about a month its like a damn bursting..or as someone on the site posted on one of my shares we are like a nerve endings right now. My only advice, which has helped me tremendously is to get a support network in place. If you are anything like me there will be urges and tricks your mind will play on you to test your resolve. There will be disappointments that will further test you resolve and no matter how strong it helps to have someone to call and of course this site to post. Best of luck.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Today I felt great. All day at the beach probably helped. Heard that being in the sunlight can improve your mood by 80%I don't know if that's true today I felt like not so much of a basketcase. Anyways thought I'd let you know the sunshine secret
Old 09-23-2013, 02:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup it's normal. I felt like I had really bad PMT everyday for months. It was kinda interesting. Try not to take it too seriously and roll with it x
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So glad its not just me, what a rollercoatser of emotions this being sober brings.... worth it tho
Old 09-23-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome yes this bi-polar roller coaster is part of the journey. There really is a concrete biological reason for it. As our brain chemistry refires and rewires. There are all sorts of neurobtransmitters and pathways that are scrambling to reverse the damaged from drinking. Try and look at these ups and downs as a good sign that you brain chemistry is returning to normal. Eat well exersize talk to dr. And let those close around you be aware that this is a transition and to have patience with you while you regain your footing

Welcome!
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Totally sounds like what I've been experiencing while quitting drink. I'm quite sure I've lost my mind. Its probably the booze that did the damage tho. I'm going to speak with my doctor