Notices

I want to quit for good this time.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to quit for good this time.

Never tried to quit for good, just tried to go through breaks, and have been successful in the past for awhile but I always end up eventually getting drunk again or feeling compelled to drink more when I know I'll regret it later. My mom just told my dad that if he didn't give up alcohol for good then she's leaving him. I want to give it up too, for myself and for him. I don't think she knows what she's asking him. It's gonna take work, and he's got to want to quit or it won't work. I worry about him not being successful at it this time and them end up separated. Anyway, my point is this. I want to give it up for myself but now that my dad is giving it up I know I'll have more support and understanding. I am reading some of these detoxing stories though and they sound awful. I've never dealt with a detox like some of these before. The worst I've had is a little queasy from not enough water and when I was a teen, I have had times where I throw up and feel awful the next day but haven't done that in 10 years. The most I think I've ever had in one day is maybe 8 drinks in a 6-7 hour period or so.. That's the extreme and that's not anything I've ever done for days in a row. I know I have an alcohol problem but doesn't seems bad compared to others. I drink maybe 3-4 or so per day. Sometimes more sometimes less, but its work to keep it just at that. My motivation for struggling to stay moderate is that I want to be able to enjoy alcohol responsibly and I know drinking excess is bad for me, and am constantly worried about getting cancer or cirrhosis or something's so I guess that's a good thing will I still have support here even if my alcohol abuse hasn't been that debilitating? I don't think I should drink at all anymore and now that my dad is quitting I have an extra incentive to stick with it. He and I and my brother went off alcohol for 4 months one time successfully, and I had no problem drinking a glass of wine every now and then when pregnant, but had absolutely no issues keeping it at that. Thoughts?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Hey 83 welcome to SR. Were glad your here. It sounds like you have a good understanding of what your up against. I remember when I finally decided to try and quit, it took so many days of going back and forth between drinking and quiting. It was really hard for me to jump back into sobriety even though I was dieing and desperately needed it because I wanted to drink responsibly and how would I enjoy life without wine, beer, and whiskey? I found that there is a solution in the 12 steps and fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. There I am able to talk to other alcoholics and gain accountability, commitments, and opportunities to help those less fortunate than me stay sober. It's what has kept me sober for 46 days now. I found after that tough first week, every week after that got better and better.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You will always find support here, no matter how bad your problem.