Notices

Six months sober and unemployed

Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six months sober and unemployed

Happy Sunday every one!! I am six months into my sobriety. I am so blessed to have a high bottom after nine years of being a functional alcoholic. I have a long way to go, but I have today. I also finally feel employable. Through the unconditional love of my high power, the rooms, and my parents, I feel it is time to reenter the work force, start my life, and financially ammends. I have a little college experience and ten plus years as a waitress, and fine dining server. Nervous that food and beverage is a sespool of things that hurt my sobriety but remain strong. What are some jobs you all suggest to get back into the work force?? Thanks for your time and care!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, if you are a legal adult with no income this might be a great time to go back to school from a financial aid perspective, AND get a part-time job somewhere booze is not served... Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

At age 55 and unemployed, I am going back to school to get certified in a new line of work.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BlessMe, personally I'd be nervous about going back into the food and beverage line of work. Drinking is always in your face and a big part of the restaurant culture is to 'wind down' with one or ten drinks after a shift. I echo the thoughts above on going back to school for something else while working part-time if that's an option for you. Congratulations on 6 months, by the way!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'd really caution against racking up tons of debt to finance more education that might not turn into an actual job.